123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permissions - just STOP IT already!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEphoto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Permissions - just STOP IT already! Reply with quote

Over and over throughout the years in OSX I've been constantly pestered by permissions differing across volumes over a network or from one Mac to the next or on externals.

In my own closed Mac eco-system I want to make every single thing I ever use or create in my user folders on my Mac(s) and network or attached drives, completely accessible - RWX - read/write by anyone, anywhere, anytime, forever!

Other than going to every folder/Getinfo/unlock/sharing&permissions/set to read write for all/tool+applytoenclosed items. On every single one - Is there an easier way to set this as the default for everything?

Also if a file XYZ is on another box and has the full RWX permissions but has different user names permitted, than the exact same file XYZ on my primary/main box - I *think* permissions will be seen as "different" when syncing. Any way to resolve that?

I hate permissions - there is no point for me. My stuff, viewed and used by me only - and I'm not trying to hide anything or become a PC user.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do this on a system drive, in fact I dot think it shows up on System Drives, but on external drives you can tell Mac OS X to ignore ownership on the volume.

Option Click / Right click on the drive. select GET INFO and down out the bottom look for the section Sharing and Permissions. below that you should see a tick box for "Ignore ownership on this volume" tick that and you should be setup. You may have to authenticate by clicking on the padlock in order to select it.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
KEphoto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I've seen where "ignore ownership" is - but AFAIK, what it won't do is strip all files on the drive of their individual permissions - and write one single global one. Instead it just hides them to the viewer.

The article below is old but a good explanation -

http://www.peachpit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=mac&seqNum=256

The conflicts I most often run into are on shared volumes, backups and syncing. If someone edited or opened and re-saved the doc - it doesn't sync/match. Or one could save a RW permission of something on one computer, and another one opens it and it saves back as R only.

Guess what I'm asking maybe is if there is a global setting for OSX users to automatically create/save everything with full open permissions.

Last edited by KEphoto on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you do it from the terminal and CHMOD the entire drive recursively (chmod -R)

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
KEphoto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to try anything like the in terminal. Maybe with a couple of good, solid backups in place! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: