123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Micromat ProToGo or eDrive??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AT0MAC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Micromat ProToGo or eDrive?? Reply with quote

I have the Micromat Techtool Pro 6.0 with eDrive - an external emergency drive running of from a USB or FireWire disc to find and hopefully repair a broken OS X installation or hardware problem.

Now Micromat have released something called ProToGo - to me it sounds like the exact same feature set, any reason I should buy that one too??
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your answer straight from Micromat:

http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=1256&Itemid=0#1256

Q:
I have them both and to me It looks pretty much the same...
What is the advantage for one over the other and which one do you recommend I use?

A:
ProToGo allows you to choose between making an installation of Mac OS X that is taken from your system software, or to use a profile provided by Apple that can boot any model compatible with the system software in Apple's developer kit for making bootable DVDs. An eDrive can boot only your model, unless you have replaced the model-specific system software that came with your model with the full commercial installation that you buy from Apple. ProToGo allows you to build custom profiles for PowerPC models, or Intel models.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Here is a question for you, now that Apple has the ability to netboot and reinstall the OS for the latest generation of Lion Mac Minis, why do we need Micromat's products at all? Can't we simply use Apple Hardware Test and another tool such as Drive Genius or Disk Warrior to maybe save a bit of money and perhaps achieve better results?

Just wondering...

Anyway, good luck with Techtool.
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: