123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't start up new Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Can't start up new Mac Mini Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm in some trouble.
I've just got a new mac mini 2011 and tried to bootcamp a windows partition but I couldn't make it right so I delete it and get back to a all mac partition, then, after some restarts I couldn't get out of the screen with the apple logo and the loading, it was just stuck forever in there, so I've searched on the web and found a solution, booting with cmd+s and some codes on the terminal, like chmod o+r, chmod o+x, then everything was all right.

But, today when I tried to start my mac mini it get stuck on the apple logo loading and then appears a stop-sign, so I restarted with the cmd+s and in the terminal appears this message:

hfs_mount root failed = 5
cannot mount root, errno = 19

What is going on?
Anyone knows some solution for this?

Also, I could make a clean reinstall but how am I supposed to do that if the mac mini 2011 doesn't comes with cd drive and some usb install, should I download Lion and make a bootable usb? But then my Lion wouldn't be original anymore?

Well, I really need some help =/
Thanks already.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you have not fully grasped that Apple designed OS X Lion for net recovery without a boot disk:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

"Command-R to the rescue."

Very Happy
Victor P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Yeah, I tried with the cmd+r and managed to fix on another way

For anyone with the same issue, just repair the disk, the permissions and then mount the disk again!

Thanks!
=)
Victor P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm having to keep the "x" key pressed or repair the disk everytime I restart =/

Any ideas why? or what can I do?

Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac os x Lion has some new anti piracy measures that can mess with legit owners as well.

Solution:

1. you need to run disk utility

2. you need to see is the hard drive listed in disk utility a Seagate or a toshiba.

Here is why.

I purchased a new mac mini with a toshiba hard drive inside it within less then 1 week i ended up reinstalling mac os x lion with the same error you described 38 times. it would only stay running for about 2 days then gray screen of death with apple logo and no smoking sign i thought my new computer was faulty i had apple care and took it into the genius bar from what they told me my hard drive was half firmwared which means it was missing some bytes of data in the hard drive itself causing the errors.

They replaced the drive with a new hitachi never had a problem after that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: