123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monsoon Vulkano for video place-shifting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papercut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Monsoon Vulkano for video place-shifting? Reply with quote

I'm looking for feedback from anyone on the Monsoon Vulkano product for TV place-shifting (similar to the Slingbox). It's a bit of a stretch to call it a Mac Accessory but, in some sense, if it lets me watch TV on my Mac then I'll say it's an accessory.

I've read a ton of negative reviews about the Slingbox problems with capacitors bulging and with poor customer service. The Vulkano seems to do essentially the same thing and the Amazon reviews are surprisingly good.

These devices work with a cable box and streams video to the internet to allow viewing in another room of the house or across the country. My son is at college and wants to watch some local hockey games and my home office is in a room without a cable box so we'll have both internal and external viewing.

Before I plunk down $100 or more, I thought I'd ask for opinions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Papercut
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like mine. App is free for iphone and android. Customer service is from India but they try hard. You do not need to buy the top of the line I think (I did) I think you can hook up an external HD to get the dvr functionality. Mi9ght double check on that. That is its biggest thing it does not do very well(DVR). You have to convert the recordng after it is done for the device, PC,IPOD you want to watch it on. Kind of cumbersome but it works. Slingbox does not do this at all. Works better than slingbox for placeshifting all the time. Slingbox would not work half the time and you have to be home to reset it. Not much help when you want TV on the road. Sling want 30 for app for phones, ipad, ipad. Slingbox customer service stinks. Charge 20 bucks everytime it decides to quit working and you end up having to redo the setup anyway. So yeah well worth the hundred bucks. Sold my slingbox for more than the Vulkano cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: