123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Machine & Networking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyMac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Time Machine & Networking Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got a 2011 Mini running Lion to which I have connected a USB drive that I have configured as my Time Machine backup drive. I have been moving the cable between my Mini and my Macbook (which also uses it as a TM but via SnowL) in order to back up both.

Is there a way to mount/share the drive, while connected to the Mini, on my Ethernet network? I'd like to let both Macs do their TM backup thing without me having to intercede in any way.

My NetGear router/modem has a USB port which is ReadyShare capable, but I have had no luck having it recognize my TM drive. It will mount a thumb drive that is formatted FAT32. Both of my Macs are connected to this router/modem via Ethernet.

Thanks for the help. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know an Airport Extreme router will solve your issue or better yet, a TimeCapsule.

Sorry I don't have a free solution to offer. I don't think you can do it through a single computer.
HappyMac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my DSL modem was zapped by lightning, I went back and forth with what purchase I should make. Airport Extreme plus a modem, or an integrated modem/router that was non-Apple. I chose the cheap route and that has boxed me in I guess.

Oh well, swapping cables is not like a sharp stick in the eye, so what am I complaining about?

Thanks Bandit Bill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: