123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading the Hard Drive on a MacBook Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SethMiniOwner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Upgrading the Hard Drive on a MacBook Pro Reply with quote

So, I'm going to buy a used MacBook, whichever is the cheapest Intel Core 2 Duo model.

I want to upgrade the hard drive to at least 500GB. I know that I need an SATA drive, but, as I recently discovered, there are three different revisions. I presume, but I'm not sure, that the MacBook I want will have revision 1.0.

So, I have a few questions.

1) Is my presumption correct? Does the MacBook I want (Model Identifier MacBook2,1, according to Wikipedia) have SATA revision 1.0?

2) If I do wind up with revision 1.0, can I use a drive of a higher revision?

3) If I can use a higher revision, will I get the advantages of it?

4) If I can use the higher revision but can't get the advantages of it, can I modify the MacBook so that I CAN get the advantages?

5) Is there one good online resource or book that discusses all this? I think I understand the actual mechanical aspects of drive replacement. I'm just curious about compatibility issues and the reasons for them.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revision doesn't matter...

Most sata drives will adjust speed to the adapter however the new 1tb laptop hard drives are taller and won't fit in the macbook however you can get a 800 gig in that model really easy.

Dual partition the hard drive

Each partition will be 400 gig's each and avoid the firmware lockout.

i have seen several mac's do this method however i would think 500 gig is just fine for a laptop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: