123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Blu-ray drive choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: External Blu-ray drive choices Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm looking to purchase an external blu-ray drive to use on My 2011 iMac and a self-built PC Media server. I've narrowed it down to:

Storage Options SOX6XBD-SLV (a Writer)
http://www.cclonline.com/product/43112/SOX6XBD-SLV/Blu-Ray-Drives/Storage-Options-6x-Ext-Slim-BD-Writer/CDR4544/

or
MSI External USB Bluray Combo - BLU-RAY COMBO USB3.0
http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=blu-ray%20combo%20usb3.0&referer=Froogle1

My main use it to rip to an image or use MakeMKV and then convert to AppleTV preset format using Handbrake on the iMac or the i7-based PC media server.

I don't particularly need writing capability but thought it might be useful for iPhoto library backup. I did read that this won't work with OSX/Toast though. On the other hand, I wondered if USB3 would make any difference on the Windows side of things.

In Summary - USB3 with read only or USB2 with writing capabilities.

Any thoughts? Experience with these drives on OSX ?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB3 is a complete waste of money on a Mac. (Running Windows on the Mac or not! - the hardware's not there.) As for connecting this external drive to your HTPC: I suppose the extra speed might help ripping on Windows. The write speed will be BD-disc-write-speed limited, not by the interface.

Looks like you're paying over the odds for slimline drives - is that important to you? I have a full-size 5.25" tray-loading LG BD-writer in an external USB2.0/eSATA case with a mains-driven PSU - much cheaper, if this form factor is OK for you.

BTW: you CAN write data and Blu-ray video discs with Toast - you just can't play Blu-ray video back (although you can read Blu-ray data discs back.)
Jowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Moobile.

I know the USB3 isn't available on the mac - but I do have it on the Windows machine. I wasn't sure if it would make that much difference with an optical drive though?

Slimeline drive - yeah, I would prefer that even if it costs a bit extra. I'm a sucker for form over function these days - thats why I'm a slave to Lord Jobs! Very Happy They also use USB power only too - so less power plugs = bonus.

I read a review that said that the Storage Options writer would not work with Toast on OSX. As for Blu-ray playback direct from disc - not important as I'd rip / compress anyway.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can play blu-ray on mac and toast does work but you need the latest version.

The mac blu-ray player is called just the mac blu ray player it is 39.99 and a excellent replacement for vlc because it plays all the formats that vlc plays.

Update: also play's dvd iso's as well so if you use iso's for your idvd projects you can play it in mac blu-ray player
Jowl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the Storage Options one. The imac powers it great over USB only and it seems to mount discs just fine, and rip with MakeMKV.
Heathy65

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowl wrote:
I went for the Storage Options one. The imac powers it great over USB only and it seems to mount discs just fine, and rip with MakeMKV.

I'm looking for a BlueRay writer for my Mac Mini so are very interested to know whether you've had any issues with this unit.

What Mac / OS X version are you using? (I have Lion)?

I want to us it to play BR movies and to (more importantly) use it to write data for backup purposes.

I currently have a LG BH10LS30 unit in a 3rd party USB enclosure which plays BR disks but I can't get it to write data to BR disks.
geeji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the LG BP06LU10 (USB2) burner, and very happy with it.
Footprint is compatible with Mac Mini, and it can be made Region less with MCSE.
Heathy65

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
Using the LG BP06LU10 (USB2) burner, and very happy with it.
Footprint is compatible with Mac Mini, and it can be made Region less with MCSE.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll have a look at that model. Do you use it to write data backups as well as watching BR movies?

Also does it need a single or two USB ports to power it?

Cheers Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: