123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am an unorganized person who bought mac. help plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arg000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: I am an unorganized person who bought mac. help plz Reply with quote

hi, I am a unorganized computer user. This is the biggest problem in my life. my problem can be stated as follows : for job and personal life I have to handle many pdfs words and other files, I had to remember many passwords , so soon after I format my computer , the number of files grows exponencially and I cant find them at proper time. even I faced financial , social crysis because of this. so how to organize everything ? how to use computer intelligently now I bought a Mac. tell me based on ur experience how can I organize files and have a better life with mac.

Rolling Eyes
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folders.

This folder is for Car A, this folder is for Car B, this folder is for Car T, this folder is for stuff for the house, this folder is for funny pictures, this folder is for docs, this folder is for URLs that I might visit but don't want to put in my bookmarks, et cetera.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for passwords, and secure info check out 1Password - http://agilebits.com/products/1Password

The mac is lot better at finding things, but you need to have a system. I'm old school and follow what Smithcraft has already mentioned and use Folders extensively. You also need a system where you automatically think where would I put that. For me it's usually the first place that pops into my head thats most often the best place as thats likely to be the first place I would think to look when I'm struggling to find a document on topic ??.

Tagging is another option. The Mac supports tagging so you could stick all your files in a flat folder structures but tag all the files with keywords. Each file can have multiple keywords so your chance of finding it is greatly improved. A lot of mac apps support openMeta Tagging which is a standard way of tagging and allows the tags to be used in multiple applications, meaning you can tag a file in one app and other apps can use the tags including the mac OS itself, finder and spotlight.

Spotlight is the Mac's built in search system, all your files are indexed by the mac so finding things is very quick. There's no waiting for searches to complete like on windows. Also if you start out by naming your files well it can really help you to find things more easily. Give your files long descriptive names, not short cryptic ones.

In the last few years I've backed away from very heavily nested folder structures and tried to simplify things. In my documents folder I now have 27 folders named 0-9 and A, B C ... Z I file things in the folder of the letter it's associated with. Projects or Main task area's would be inside these in subfolders but I'm trying to avoid having too many levels of folders. So Finances would be a folder under F and Receipts would be in a Receipts folder under R. Bank statements in a subfolder Banking under B. you get the idea.

I also use this A-Z approach inside a program called DevonThink Pro Office, it's an expensive option and a little difficult to get your head around at times but it's searching is second to none and I rarely loose a document these days. It incorporates all of the above, including Folders & Tagging, it even lets you replicate documents so it appears that a file is in multiple places. So may Bank statements could be in a folder Banking and also in a folder of the name of the bank. It would also be tagged to further improve the chance of finding it. In reality though there is only one copy of the file so your not wasting disk space.

I also date stamp all my files, so they begin yyyy_mm_dd so for today it would be yyyy = 2011 mm=08 dd=12 or "2011_08_12 filename.pdf" etc

Dropbox is also a great place to store your main documents, as it also gives you an automatic backup to the cloud. Your files can be set to sync between multiple computers so you files are in the same place on each system you use.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
palebluedot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice for passwords is Lastpass (www.lastpass.com). I used to use 1password, but it is not available on many devices. If all you ever use or plan to use are Apple computers/devices and a Windows pc, this may not be an issue. But if you think you might buy devices (phones/tablets) other than Apple, Lastpass is a great solution. And it is FREE for desktop browsers and only $1/mo for mobile browsers on a WIDE variety of devices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: