123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 Apps Every New Mac User Should Download
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: 10 Apps Every New Mac User Should Download Reply with quote

10 Apps Every New Mac User Should Download
Monday December 19, 2005 12:00 AM EST
By: Paul Stamatiou and Charles Stroup

Paul Stamatiou and I have compiled a list of 10 applications every new Mac user should download. These applications should help new users get off the ground and running with OS X. We tried our best to narrow the list down to the most essential applications. Of course, the list we complied could never include all the great applications available for OS X, but these are 10 that we could not live without. You can always find more software on MacUpdate. MacUpdate is updated every day, listing the newest updates and releases of Macintosh software. Now, on to the list!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/410.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent list. I look forward to more suggestions from others.

Time to start downloading Smile
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty good list. I think NetNewsWire and Audacity would be a good additions to the list.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest...

TinkerTool for a preference utility.
http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

Cocktail for a maintenance utility.
http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.html

Taco for an HTML editor.
http://www.tacosw.com/

Missing Sync for palm synchronization software.
http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php
iLife's a Bitch!
lar3ry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Something important is missing... Reply with quote

It would have been a GREAT service if the price (suggested retail) or license information were provided with each of your suggestions. For example, Firefox and Thunderbird is free, but some of the apps are not. Providing a download link to crippleware or demoware doesn't help people in the long run.

Some obvious (to me) apps were missing: most everything in the iLife series comes immediately to mind. NeoOffice/J fulfills most users' office needs (WP, Spreadsheet, Presentation).

Cyberduck??? Are you kidding? Who really uses FTP anymore? Most, if not all, web browsers can do FTP if necessary. BitTorrent would have been a better suggestion there.

The suggestion of TextWrangler can be problematical. Most people that use text editors that aren't the default application for text usually have a distinct reason for selecting them. There are the venerable "vi" and "emacs" clones that programmers get into holy wars about! Apple's default application is good enough for most people.

Since VLC can play most WMV files, WMP is just an extra application that will be used seldomly.

Gimp seems to have been overlooked (although requiring an X server makes it a bit out of the mainstream, so it is probably understandable).

I guess in the long run, such "essential" lists of applications is pretty subjective.

Cyberduck indeed!

Interesting article, though.
kes601

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but none of the browsers in OS X will allow for FTP Uploads, and the FTP feature built into the OS also only allows for downloads as well. An FTP program would be very important for those of us who need to send files via FTP for web hosting purposes.

If you look at it that way, then an FTP program(whether it be Cyberduck or something else) would be an essential program to have.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite applications for the Mac are as follows.

GimpShop - Cost is Free - For those who don’t already know, the Gimp is a powerful, open source image editing application. GIMPshop is essentially the same program with some cosmetic changes. The Gimp’s menu structure and naming conventions can be frustrating for people who are used to Photoshop. So, GimpShop make Gimp more like Photoshop with the menus and tool names! (Note that you will need to install and run X11 to use this program)

Thumbscrew - Cost is Free - Drag images onto the app and create rotated thumbnails with borders and drop shadows. Maximum angle of rotation, maximum thumbnail bounding box, and border size can all be set before creating thumbnails

JAlbum - Cost is Free - This gallery software makes web albums of your digital images. JAlbum aims to be the easiest to use and most powerful tool in this category - and free!
With JAlbum, no extra software is needed to view the albums, -just your web browser. Unlike "server side" album scripts, JAlbum albums can be served from a plain web server without scripting support. You can also share your albums on CD-ROM.

Transmit - Cost $29.95 - This is one robust FTP client and has so many features that are geared just for Mac OS X that it is imposible to list them all here. If you are in need of a FTP client this is one to take a close look at. There is a free trial when you download the full version.

NeoOffice - Cost is Free - NeoOffice is a full featured office productivity suite including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, vector drawing, database, and macro functionality. It can be used as a free alternative to Microsoft Office:Mac. You can exchange documents with Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org users, even on other platforms! There is no need to buy MS Office with NeoOffice available for free!!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Something important is missing... Reply with quote

lar3ry wrote:

Who really uses FTP anymore? Most, if not all, web browsers can do FTP if necessary. BitTorrent would have been a better suggestion there.

I still use FTP! Although, not as much as when I had a personal website. Transferring files in a web browser is ok if you're only moving around a few files. A good FTP program is going to help you keep organized. I also like having resumable transfers when you get timed out by the server or have to move around large files.

I would like to recommend Internet Explorer. Hurry up and get your copy because they are going dark on the 31st. Wink Laughing
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

Cocktail for a maintenance utility.
http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.html

OnyX is another maintenance and optimization utility. It's free!
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

devo wrote:
I would like to recommend Internet Explorer. Hurry up and get your copy because they are going dark on the 31st.

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't try to get a jab in with Apple, and recommend using Firefox over Safari.

It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
bsnoel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Something important is missing... Reply with quote

lar3ry wrote:
Cyberduck??? Are you kidding? Who really uses FTP anymore? Most, if not all, web browsers can do FTP if necessary. BitTorrent would have been a better suggestion there.

Cyberduck indeed!

Interesting article, though.

I use FTP nearly everyday at work (usually command line) and there are many things that cannot be done with a browser such as scheduling, scripting, batching, etc.

Personally, my choice for a Mac FTP client hands down would be Transmit. Transmit ROCKS! One very useful feature in Transmit is folder syncronization. Say that you download some new songs from the iTunes music store. You can use Transmits folder sync feature to sync the iTunes library on more than one Mac.

Try Transmit for FREE! Get Transmit Here

Last edited by bsnoel on Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:53 am; edited 4 times in total
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a favorite application. I am still waiting to buy a Mac mini, which will be my first Mac. I definitely appreciate all these recommendations and have them all bookmarked.
dapman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take VLC and WMP off the list. Add MPlayerOSX and something else.

http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:

I wouldn't reccomend OnyX. I had a very bad experience with it. Every time I would restart OSX while running Onyx, Every setting, file and folder I had made changes to in the previous session would dissapear. As if I didn't make any changes. (Almost as if OnyX was 'restoring' my OSX to the time directly after I installed it every time I restarted.)
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
OGN wrote:

I wouldn't reccomend OnyX. I had a very bad experience with it. Every time I would restart OSX while running Onyx, Every setting, file and folder I had made changes to in the previous session would dissapear. As if I didn't make any changes. (Almost as if OnyX was 'restoring' my OSX to the time directly after I installed it every time I restarted.)

Was this with the latest version 1.6.5? I haven't had any trouble with it. I have it installed on my PowerBook and Mac mini.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
Qt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone recommend a free HTML editor other than NVU? I was using Evrsoft 1st Page with XP before switching.

TIA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: