123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Won't recognize TV is back on and display stays blank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustAnnuthaDewd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Won't recognize TV is back on and display stays blank Reply with quote

Howdy all. We recently decided to give using a Mac mini as an HTPC another whirl. I last tried about 5 years ago but it didn't prove to be a good experience due to a few nagging issues I had at the time. This time around is a whole different story and I am LOVING having an HTPC that can play back my media at 24 Hz! Good riddance to the Apple TV.

I'm having one little problem that I "may" have solved (I'll know for sure in the next couple days). Basically, after the AVR that the Mac mini is connected to is turned back on after an extended period of being off (long enough for the Mac to go to sleep and/or turn on the display), it fails to recognize that everything is back on and the TV stays blank. When I remote in, the Mac is clearly up and running, but the Displays pref panel says that there is no recognized display attached. Ultimately, I've been forced to reboot to get it to recognize that the TV is back on.

I've tried a number of ideas but nothing has panned out yet. In the Energy Saver prefs, I've tried "never" turning the display off, then turning it off in as little as 10 minutes. I've fiddled with the time out period for it to go to sleep... no dice.

At the moment, I'm giving SwitchResX a whirl. I did have some hope earlier in that the Mac did in fact recognize the TV and AVR were on, but it reverted to using 60 Hz rather than 24 Hz. I've tweaked a setting in SwitchResX to always use my "TV" profile I configured to use 1920x1080 @ 24Hz, rather than "last used", so I'm hoping that fixes that, but I won't know until morning or later. In the meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and if so, what the final fix is, if there is one. Much appreciated!

Oh yeah, I'm on the new 2014 Mac mini running Yosemite 10.10.1, connected to my AVR (a Harman Kardon) via HDMI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: