123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iomega Intros Mac Companion Hard Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Iomega Intros Mac Companion Hard Drive Reply with quote

Iomega Intros Mac Companion Hard Drive
Tuesday, August 02, 2011
Posted by: Kenan

Iomega today announced the release of their Mac Companion Hard Drive for Mac users. Available in 2TB and 3TB capacities, the new hard drive utilizes a fast 7200 RPM 3.5-inch hard drive formatted HFS+ for compatibility with Mac computers out of the box. It also features a "space saving" design that allows the hard drive to fit perfectly on the base of an iMac or Apple display. And while not perfectly stackable, the drive also matches up quite well with the 2010 and 2011 Mac minis. You won't be lacking with connectivity options either. The Mac Companion Hard Drive includes two FireWire 800 ports and a two port integrated USB 2.0 hub that lets you connect multiple devices such as a printer or other external storage devices. It also features a high-powered (2.1 Amp) USB charging port on the side for connecting iPads and iPhones. Cool, no? Pricing for the Mac Companion Hard Drive starts at $195 for the 2TB model and goes to $295 for the 3TB model.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1681.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
K.C.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone should tell Iomega about the new Thunderbolt port. All they've done here is put a charging port into an outdated enclosure.
plus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: There is a cheaper alternative from iOmega and... Reply with quote

...it's called Minimax: same ports as Companion, slightly less cozy enclosure, and more firendly pricetag: 2TB for $189.99, 1TB for $129.99.
http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/external-hard-drive-desktop/ultramax-minimax/minimax800/?partner=4760
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that LaCie doesn't make another one of their LaCie mini drives again for the Mac mini with Thunderbolt. That would be one hot drive. I have one of the old ones with FW400 and it's still going like a champ all these years later.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
It's a shame that LaCie doesn't make another one of their LaCie mini drives again for the Mac mini with Thunderbolt. That would be one hot drive. I have one of the old ones with FW400 and it's still going like a champ all these years later.

I agree... I also have one of the LaCie mini FW400 enclosures. It's going strong as well. I did however upgrade it to a 500GB drive years ago.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is nice to get something that fits under a mac mini, but aren't they charging quite a premium for that? I don't know if I can justify that as I am just as likely to hide an external HDD than have it out on display. For the price they are charging it seems like a WD My Book Studio Edition II would make a better buy. That is just my humble opinion. I saw an open box special on a new 2TB version for $159.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thunderbolt?!! BOOO! Hisssss!!! What were they thinking? What a missed opportunity! Evil or Very Mad
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
No thunderbolt?!! BOOO! Hisssss!!! What were they thinking? What a missed opportunity! Evil or Very Mad

+1

When are we going to see some more affordable drives like this with Thunderbolt?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: