123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Apple Updates Mac mini Reply with quote

Apple Updates Mac mini
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Posted by: Staff

Apple today updated the Mac mini with next generation Intel core processors, new discrete graphics, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology and Mac OS X Lion. According to the company, the new Mac mini delivers up to twice the processor and graphics performance of the previous generation in the same compact and efficient aluminum design. Starting at $599, the new Mac mini is available for order today and in stores tomorrow.

"Mac mini delivers the speed and expandability that makes it perfect for the desktop, living room or office," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With faster processors, more powerful graphics and Thunderbolt in an incredibly compact, aluminum design, the new Mac mini is more versatile than ever."

At 7.7-inches square and 1.4-inches thin, the new Mac mini maintains its compact aluminum design while delivering amazing performance and graphics capabilities. Available in three different configurations, customers can choose a Mac mini with the latest dual-core Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processors, AMD Radeon HD 6630M discrete graphics, or a quad-core Intel Core i7 powered server configuration. Designed without an optical disc drive, Mac mini can access the optical drives on other PCs and Macs, and works with the MacBook Air SuperDrive. Configure-to-order options include up to 8 GBs of memory, a faster 7200 RPM hard drive and a 256GB solid state drive.

Mac mini now comes with Thunderbolt I/O technology for expansion possibilities never before available to Mac mini users. With a Thunderbolt port, Mac mini can connect to peripherals such as high-performance storage devices, RAID arrays and the new Apple Thunderbolt Display, a stunning 27-inch IPS widescreen display that's great for making FaceTime HD video calls, surfing the Web and viewing movies and photos.

The new Mac mini is available through the Apple Store today and in Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers starting July 21.

The 2.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Mac mini with 2GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive starts at a suggested retail price of $599 (US), with options to add memory up to 8GB and a 750GB hard drive.

The 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Mac mini with 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive starts at a suggested retail price of $799 (US), with options to upgrade to a 2.7GHz dual-core Core i7 processor, up to 8GB of memory, and a 750GB hard drive with an option to add or replace with a 256GB solid state drive.

The 2.0 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini with Lion Server, 4GB of memory and dual 500GB hard drives starts at a suggested retail price of $999 (US). Options include adding memory up to 8GB, two 750GB hard drives, or up to two 256GB solid state drives.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1661.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more optical drive? Shocked

I have to be honest here. I don't like that.
iLife's a Bitch!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mixed bag. I like the specs and new pricing, but there goes the idea of a Mac mini ever coming with built-in Blu-ray.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best Mac mini update in a long time as far as I'm concered. With Core i7, better AMD graphics and TB taking it to the next level. I'm so glad they didn't go with Intel HD Graphics 3000 like the MBA received.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
1gkek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
No more optical drive? Shocked

I have to be honest here. I don't like that.

+1
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 @Ben_Tex

This is just the new Mac mini I wanted! Very Happy

BTW: I don't really care about having a DVD drive anymore. I would rather have the better system and use an external.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... looks like I was wrong. They did go with Intel graphics on the base model. I'm glad it was across the board though.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server model with the quad-core i7 and dual hard drives looks like the best deal of all. You also have better options when it comes to ordering solid state drives.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual-Core i5 for all base models, Quad-Core i7 for the server. Very good, they didn't go with the i3 to lower the cost!

intel graphics on the low-end model... let's just say I'm not a big fan of intel GPUs.

But to see Apple offering a second model with a discrete Radeon GPU (from a quick search I see it's about twice as powerful as the nVidia 320m)? With a dual-core i7 upgrade option when you order online?

And both a 7200RPM+SSD option on top of that? Granted, the price is extreme with all those upgrades, but still they're available for those who can afford it.

Oh, no optical drive you say? So what. You can't connect a better CPU or a better GPU externally, but you can connect an external optical drive. The trade-off is more than worth it.

Besides, here's what you can do in 2011:
- Music, TV Shows, movies: iTunes Store.
- Applications: Mac App Store.
- Games: Mac App Store, and Blizzard and Steam both use downloads too.

What I find surprising is Apple making two different Mac mini motherboards to be able to offer us that Radeon GPU. I'm really glad they took the time and expense to do both an intel GPU and a Radeon GPU motherboard.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the price cut, but I will never buy another Mac with Intel graphics. I wish they had just gone with Radeon GPUs in all three models. So I'm sort of on the fence as what to do now. Have a question though. Would the server model prevent me from doing anything I would normally do with a regular Mac running Lion?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Would the server model prevent me from doing anything I would normally do with a regular Mac running Lion?

No.
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice update indeed! As for being sans Superdrive. Other than ripping DVDs, I haven't used it on my Mac mini in like two years. So needing to have an external isn't the end of the world. It does sort of break up the compact design, but what are you going to do?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess time will tell, but I think it was a major mistake for Apple to take away the optical drive from the Mac mini. I like being able to throw in a DVD and CD in the office and living room. It is a desktop system you know.

The technical specs kick some serious ass though. I mean, apart from the $599 mini with integrated crap from Intel. Who really wants to go down that road again?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
Weee wrote:
Would the server model prevent me from doing anything I would normally do with a regular Mac running Lion?

No.

Okay, thanks! Maybe that is the best model to go with then. Thinking, thinking, thinking...
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Apple has done here. Not so much with removing the optical drive, but with everything else. I will more than likely be a buyer towards the fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: