123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 mini and bluray mkvs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhoussock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: 2010 mini and bluray mkvs Reply with quote

Ive been ripping my blurays with the free version of dvdfab and then hand breaking them to 5gb sizes i recently got the full version and it can rip a bluray to mkv in fifty minutes instead of the 6 hours i took with handbrake they are 20 gb files wich i dont mind but they studder and skip in plex and play smooth in vlc with no audio can it be that the dts is hd and vlc doesnt support that and plex cant handle the load i thought the 2010 mini is capable of playing raw bluray rips is it not?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try restarting your Plex Media Server and/or the computer it resides on. I sometimes notice that after rescanning that it has issues.

My 2009 2.26 Mini has no issues with even high bitrate files, so I assume you are fine. Have you upgraded to most recent version of Plex?

What version of OS are you on? VLC works ok for me on DTS. But HD audio isn't supported at all on the Mac currently. VLC uses the core audio portion to play is my understanding.
jhoussock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated my files are all on a usb drive would that be a
Problem
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, please make an attempt at using punctuation. It's hard to help when we have to read your post more than once to figure out what you're saying.

Anyway, your files being on a USB drive isn't a problem. In the Plex client preferences, check to see if hardware acceleration is turned on. That should help. If it doesn't, we'll need to know what model mini you're attempting to play these files back on.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unblowupable5 wrote:
we'll need to know what model mini you're attempting to play these files back on.

OP states 2010 mini, so it should be minimum 2.26 (assuming there is confusion and a late 2009 mini was purchased before the 2010 mini came out) which isn't an issue. Couldn't agree more regarding the punctuation.

I find it interesting the way people troubleshoot on forums though, "i have an issue with my car, anybody have an idea what the problem is?" Keep it as generic as possible and don't provide answers to any questions...assume everybody can read your mind, make certain information is pried from you.

Jhoussock, we know about the studder/skip, a guesstimate about the machine and that you use a USB drive. Other than that we have no idea. You really need to supply some information about what you have done to try and fix it, at minimum what particular steps from the threads on the Plex forums. What version of Plex?

Finally, I'm sure dvdfab is a fabulous program, but I have not used them and remain skeptical of any of the other Chinese rippers that spam websites. Have you tried using MakeMKV?
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
OP states 2010 min

D'oh! Re-read the post (again) and see that I missed that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: