123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the USB ports are higher powered for charging iPad at the what, 5 watt rate?.
Nettle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking the new Mac minis. I have a question about the Mac mini server though. How do the dual hard drives come RAID configured of the box? I would like to set up RAID mirroring.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettle wrote:
I'm really liking the new Mac minis. I have a question about the Mac mini server though. How do the dual hard drives come RAID configured of the box? I would like to set up RAID mirroring.

Haven't received mine yet, but the older server models came with no RAID configuration installed. It just sees two separate hard drives. You can setup RAID 1 mirroring with Disk Utility though. The link below will show you how.

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2010/07/17/enabling-raid-1-on-a-mac-mini-server/
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
No more optical drive? Shocked

I have to be honest here. I don't like that.

I have to be honest too: VERY CLEVER!! I never liked the built in drive as it always makes loud noises, doesn't work really well plus I own an external Pioneer in an LaCie Firewire 400 box already for years, which works so much better and is much older than the mini! It is interesting that Apple releases just one more connection standard. How long have we to wait until I can buy a 3rd party Thunderbolt bluray drive or hard drive? Apple supports USB 3, but why not put USB 3.0 ports in it?

aquaman wrote:
I still like burning music to CD and watching DVDs. That being said, you can do just the same with an external. So I don't see it as being a deal breaker. I am rather impressed with the new specs though. No doubt, these are the best Mac minis ever to come off the assembly line.

Until the next version Laughing

castaway wrote:
I don't doubt that other companies will step in and make external optical drives in the same form factor as the Mac mini. You know...like those old MiniStack and Lacie mini drives, but with an optical drive.

And preferably with Thunderbolt connection and of course a BluRay drive!

Saying all that. I'm still looking for an old form factor Mac Mini server (old model), anyone?
Dan__

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHoracio wrote:
I figured out a solution:

Divide the mac mini in two different machines...

the "classic mac mini"
a bigger design and the same specs as the imac

If you tell me such thing is impossible just look at the stats of the server mini, the only thing that hinders it is the video card, mark my words, a cube like mini will arrive sooner or later.

We've been asking for this mythical headless-iMac for years. It would be great, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&start=15

Even crafted a picture of it, but I don't think it's hosted anymore, and I can't find it here at work. It was essentially a double-height Mac Mini, with 2 optical drive trays (instead of slots).

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Dan
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy with my server so far. It's really snappy! Smile

@Gigaguy. No problems with the iPad.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, what I was wondering, is what wattage the USB ports are charging the iPad at. Slow like older macs, or faster like the iPad wall charger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: