123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like to burn CDs for my car, hooking up an mp3 player in the car is not easy or cheap, to do it the right way.
I don't use DVDs much but I do video edit projects and many people want them delivered on DVDs for TV.

My 09 Mini is hooked to my HDTV so I get a great HTPC experience. My Mini is my stereo, DVD player, all in one media/PC device. I haven't used a 'desktop', 'stereo, or AV receiver, in years and never had a laptop. just my iPad and Mini and a soundbar.
Plus I like to minimize AC plugs , so a separate DVD is one more plug.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHoracio wrote:
II remember before the mini was updated people wanted the mini to drop optical drive in favor of better components and now people complain for the exact opposite. Think about it this way: You can solve the lack of optical drive in a variety of ways, but if the mini came with an optical drive and an i3, could you install a core i7 externally? Which one would you rather choose? I think the answer would be very easy for most people.

I have not changed my opinion in what I have wanted in a mini since they were released. While I of course acknowledge that there are engineering considerations in designing the system, I still feel that there is not clear winner in the new mini, and that having to get an external drive drives up the price.

Since I never expected to see an i7 Quad in a mini, and an i3 will handle quite abit of data, I was expecting to see an i3/i5 split.

Of course if they just made the mini with a socketed CPU, then the answer would be even easier.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace Wright wrote:
Hello, I am new here.

I have a 2009 2.0 Ghz Intel core duo that I am running dual monitors and 8GB or RAM plus a 120 SSD.

I own a photography studio and have really got a lot out of this little monster but I am think of getting the new 2.7 i7 upgrade on the new mini. Then I will add 8GB and 120 SSD from Other World Computing.

Is there a way to compare how much faster that would be than my current set up?

I am sure that benchmarks will be popping up any minute now.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The processors are awesome and it has Thunderbolt, but I'm kinda happy with my '10 Mac mini for now. The lack of an optical drive doesn't bother me either, even though I think it's a little too forward looking at this point.
MartinHoracio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out a solution:

Divide the mac mini in two different machines with different configurations each, one could be "classic mac mini" specially made for home theater/server with, that means optical drive, the works, but slower processor.

The other mac mini would be focused on real work, and would have a bigger design (but of course still way smaller than MacPro) and could have the same specs as the imac, but still keep the same characteristics as the mac mini (BYOKM-no monitor-no remote) so it will still be accessible price wise.

I think the imac would not be affected much, because it has its own charm (all in one design, minimalistic, thin and includes everything you need to use it-less cable mess) vs the absolute basics of the mac mini, and the Mac Pro will always be available for those looking for amazing top of the line performance.

If you tell me such thing is impossible just look at the stats of the server mini, the only thing that hinders it is the video card, mark my words, a cube like mini will arrive sooner or later.

My portfolio:
Photography: http://martinhphoto.daportfolio.com
Design: http://martinhdesign.daportfolio.com
Rokudude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else here thought about this? Now that Apple has eliminated the DVD drive they could be closer to including a 3.5" hard drive inside the Mac mini. I don't know the dimensions of the inside, but two standard height 2.5" hard drives add up to 19mm. A standard height 3.5" hard drive is like 25mm or so. I mean, if they can fit one inside the Time Capsule at 1.4" why not inside the Mac mini at the same height? I would absolutely love this computer with a 2TB or 3TB hard drive and better performance. Wouldn't you?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokudude wrote:
Has anyone else here thought about this? Now that Apple has eliminated the DVD drive they could be closer to including a 3.5" hard drive inside the Mac mini. I don't know the dimensions of the inside, but two standard height 2.5" hard drives add up to 19mm. A standard height 3.5" hard drive is like 25mm or so. I mean, if they can fit one inside the Time Capsule at 1.4" why not inside the Mac mini at the same height? I would absolutely love this computer with a 2TB or 3TB hard drive and better performance. Wouldn't you?

not going to happen t-bolt is what they will give you

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHoracio wrote:
I figured out a solution:

Divide the mac mini in two different machines with different configurations each, one could be "classic mac mini" specially made for home theater/server with, that means optical drive, the works, but slower processor.

The other mac mini would be focused on real work, and would have a bigger design (but of course still way smaller than MacPro) and could have the same specs as the imac, but still keep the same characteristics as the mac mini (BYOKM-no monitor-no remote) so it will still be accessible price wise.

I think the imac would not be affected much, because it has its own charm (all in one design, minimalistic, thin and includes everything you need to use it-less cable mess) vs the absolute basics of the mac mini, and the Mac Pro will always be available for those looking for amazing top of the line performance.

If you tell me such thing is impossible just look at the stats of the server mini, the only thing that hinders it is the video card, mark my words, a cube like mini will arrive sooner or later.

I have to say that has to be one of the worst iDeas ever. Just because someone needs an optical drive means they should get a crappy system? That makes it even worse than it is now.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Kemo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be in the minority, but I could care less about having an optical drive. And the main purpose I bought a new Mac mini was for HTPC. I think the new models just rock in every way possible. They're classy looking, small, fast, full of ports (USB, TB, FW800), quiet, and relatively inexpensive. What more can you ask for out of a modern computer? I think Apple has another winner on their hands here.
SeaLawyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I like a DVD drive too. Maybe someone will mod the 2010 Mini with upgraded 2011 components?? Then we'd have the best of 2010 and 2011. probably messes up the warranty tho.

I too was VERY disappointed there's no more optical drive... Seems like installing the 2011 guts into a 2010 case wouldn't be that difficult based on this:

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29310

That would be nice since then you could do a Blu-ray drive and at least use it to rip Blu-ray disc.

Now it's just a question of where to find the a 2010 case...
pony345

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving my new Mac mini server with Lion! It's really fast and quiet!! I thought the two 7200 RPM hard drives might make it louder than my old Mac mini, but it actually makes less noise. I'm so impressed at this point. Very Happy
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to order the server today. I'm not into gaming, so I thought it would give me the most horsepower and storage space. I almost went with the 2.7GHz i7 with Radeon HD for a second, but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to use another hard drive in it without a special cable. So for another $100 you get the quad-core i7 and another 500 GB hard drive spinning at 7200RPM. That seems like a good deal to me.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't game either, but I do video editing, now in iMovie with std def, later possibly HD with Final Cut.
what is the best bang for the buck.
My current 09 2.0 Mini C2Duo has been stuttering with std def projects that have lots of edit points (4GB RAM, 320gb 7200 HDD, half full.
2011 server model is looking interesting. are the dedicated graphics 0n the 2.5/2.7 non-server beneficial for editing? hmm.
T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I don't game either, but I do video editing, now in iMovie with std def, later possibly HD with Final Cut.
what is the best bang for the buck.
My current 09 2.0 Mini C2Duo has been stuttering with std def projects that have lots of edit points (4GB RAM, 320gb 7200 HDD, half full.
2011 server model is looking interesting. are the dedicated graphics 0n the 2.5/2.7 non-server beneficial for editing? hmm.

No, but you'll want as much CPU and RAM as you can afford, when you do video editing.
RMP1975

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice between having an optical drive or two hard drives, I'd take the two hard drives seven days a week. I love the new Mac minis. It's probably the best update they've ever received.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: