123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that other companies will step in and make external optical drives in the same form factor as the Mac mini. You know...like those old MiniStack and Lacie mini drives, but with an optical drive.
T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
I don't doubt that other companies will step in and make external optical drives in the same form factor as the Mac mini. You know...like those old MiniStack and Lacie mini drives, but with an optical drive.

Well, the last Mac Mini was updated in 2009, and we still have no external harddrives that fit the size..
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:
Almost great!

I wonder what flavor of Koolaid they are drinking in Cupertino?

SC

What would make it great SC?

I continue to be dismayed by what Apple puts out. Not dismayed by what they put out per say, but just the way that there is not a clear winner top of the line package.

No optical drive? I almost think that Apple is trying to force any other company out of selling Apple software. I'm supposed to get an external? Jobs hates cables so why make us add two more cables for an optical drive which also adds clutter. Or share the drive from another computer. I need to have another computer to install software?

The i7 Quad only gets the Intel graphics? Seriously?

I still would like Apple to say this is the case(whether it's a Pro, or a mini), and these are the options for CPUs. Or even say with the mini there will be two motherboards. One with fancy features, and one with plain features, now pick a CPU.
Or imagine if Chevy(I'm not a GM fan, so pick your preferred car company and model) made a Corvette with the most advanced super bad arse six cylinder that you could get with an automatic, or seven speed manual transmission. But then they also made a Corvette with a super bad arse V8 but it was only available with a automatic.

So, that is why I say almost great. It certainly isn't a FAIL, but it's not an EPIC VICTORY either...

So, $600 for the base mini plus $80 for the MBA Super drive, or an ASUS BD drive for $100, is what I will consider the real price to be.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
The i7 Quad only gets the Intel graphics? Seriously?

That does seem strange. Might there have been thermal issues with the two in combo with an extra 7200rpm hard drive? It doesn't seem likely, but you never know.
iLife's a Bitch!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then don't make the i7 Quad the server. Limit the server to an i5 or something that runs cooler.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Then don't make the i7 Quad the server. Limit the server to an i5 or something that runs cooler.

SC

It also doesn't make sense for the server to use graphics chipping into a nice chuck of your system's overall memory. Memory is always king for a server.

I still like the update though. I also think it's cool that the new Mac mini and MacBook Air got Bluetooth 4.0 yesterday. It's supposed to improve range, and lower power consumption and latency. I think they are the first Macs to include this.
barnz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
No more optical drive? Shocked
I have to be honest here. I don't like that.
+1
Especially since it is impossible to find any external optical drive with a compatible footprint, so that both can be stacked elegantly.
No even at Apple !! Sad

+1
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a DVD drive too. Maybe someone will mod the 2010 Mini with upgraded 2011 components?? Then we'd have the best of 2010 and 2011. probably messes up the warranty tho.
Ace Wright

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much faster would new mini with i7 be than my 2009 2.0 ?
Dual Samsung Monitors
MartinHoracio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could care less about the dvd drive, I have been using my 1,42 mini for graphic design work for 2 years without using the disc drive (it stopped reading discs correctly) and when I did it was mostly to watch dvd's, so I got a cheap dvd player and problem solved.

There were I admit a *few times where I needed to read a dvd but the rest of the time I just used a thumb drive, or my external drive. I ended up purchasing a cheap external disc drive for backup purposes but I don't use it much.

As the saying goes "You just cant please everybody". I remember before the mini was updated people wanted the mini to drop optical drive in favor of better components and now people complain for the exact opposite. Think about it this way: You can solve the lack of optical drive in a variety of ways, but if the mini came with an optical drive and an i3, could you install a core i7 externally? Which one would you rather choose? I think the answer would be very easy for most people.

I do agree with having a mac mini with both a quad core i7, a dedicated video card and two 500gb 7200rpm, but I guess you can have the cake but you can't eat it.

My portfolio:
Photography: http://martinhphoto.daportfolio.com
Design: http://martinhdesign.daportfolio.com
_029292_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN, thanks for the clear reply at http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=203016#203016.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHoracio wrote:
I could care less about the dvd drive, I have been using my 1,42 mini for graphic design work for 2 years without using the disc drive (it stopped reading discs correctly) and when I did it was mostly to watch dvd's, so I got a cheap dvd player and problem solved.

There were I admit a *few times where I needed to read a dvd but the rest of the time I just used a thumb drive, or my external drive. I ended up purchasing a cheap external disc drive for backup purposes but I don't use it much.

As the saying goes "You just cant please everybody". I remember before the mini was updated people wanted the mini to drop optical drive in favor of better components and now people complain for the exact opposite. Think about it this way: You can solve the lack of optical drive in a variety of ways, but if the mini came with an optical drive and an i3, could you install a core i7 externally? Which one would you rather choose? I think the answer would be very easy for most people.

I do agree with having a mac mini with both a quad core i7, a dedicated video card and two 500gb 7200rpm, but I guess you can have the cake but you can't eat it.

NOT with the psu inside the mini.

psu = 85 watts
quad = 45watts
left = 25 watts
2 hdds = 5 watts
left 17 watts
firewire port 9 watts
left 6.5 watts

so as you can see the internal psu is really pushing it to the max with a quad and a gpu

add on an eyetv device and you would be past.

remember if you have a plugin keyboard and mouse you would go over.
if you use blue tooth instead the blue tooth chip pulls power .
use wi fi the wi fi chip pulls power.

Any one that wants a quad with a good gpu needs a psu brick.

To be honest The brick would allow a very powerful mini.

I could see a quad 2.3 with a 512gb gpu 2 ssds and a t-bolt raid connected. It would be a very good machine for a lot of users.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Ace Wright

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am new here.

I have a 2009 2.0 Ghz Intel core duo that I am running dual monitors and 8GB or RAM plus a 120 SSD.

I own a photography studio and have really got a lot out of this little monster but I am think of getting the new 2.7 i7 upgrade on the new mini. Then I will add 8GB and 120 SSD from Other World Computing.

Is there a way to compare how much faster that would be than my current set up?
Dual Samsung Monitors
epic_ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it. CDs and DVDs are going the way of the dodo bird. Just like the floppy drive. Heck, I don't even use them anymore with the likes of Spotify, Plex and Netlfix. Ripping DVDs is about the only thing I use them for. And last I heard, there is a plethora of cheap external burners on the market. In fact, it has been my experience that internal burners are one of the first things to go on your computer when used to the tilt. Then what do you do? You go out and buy and external burner to replace it with. Plus, I like the clean looking design. I always the like the looks of the Mac mini server better anyways and room for two drives. And now, it's going to be childproof from having my kids jam crap into the slot. So deal! My 2.5GHz Mac mini is on the way. It's going to make a fine media center!

Last edited by epic_ed on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MartinHoracio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

NOT with the psu inside the mini.

psu = 85 watts
quad = 45watts
left = 25 watts
2 hdds = 5 watts
left 17 watts
firewire port 9 watts
left 6.5 watts

so as you can see the internal psu is really pushing it to the max with a quad and a gpu

add on an eyetv device and you would be past.

remember if you have a plugin keyboard and mouse you would go over.
if you use blue tooth instead the blue tooth chip pulls power .
use wi fi the wi fi chip pulls power.

Any one that wants a quad with a good gpu needs a psu brick.

To be honest The brick would allow a very powerful mini.

I could see a quad 2.3 with a 512gb gpu 2 ssds and a t-bolt raid connected. It would be a very good machine for a lot of users.

I think its time for the Mac Cube to make its triumphant return in sexy aluminum! I know I would def get one.

My portfolio:
Photography: http://martinhphoto.daportfolio.com
Design: http://martinhdesign.daportfolio.com

Last edited by MartinHoracio on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: