123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've Been Impressed Again By Ubuntu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: I've Been Impressed Again By Ubuntu Reply with quote

In the middle of 2010 I dual booted my HP computer with Vista and Ubuntu 10.04. I noticed that Ubuntu worked faster than Vista when starting and shutting off. It seemed a bit snappier than Vista and even Leopard.

It took me over a year of fiddling with it to get most everything working. I would go months without using it. So it wasn't totally the fault of Ubuntu. It still isn't perfect. I don't know if I'll try 11.04 when I'm still trying to get 10.04 functioning flawlessly.

My newest project is to sell stuff on ebay. I wanted to transfer all of my product photos to the Linux partition. The computer has several flash card slots. I put my camera SD card into the computer and loaded Vista. The task of transferring files to it was easy but a bit slow.

Have you ever used the cursor to highlight several images in a folder? I did that with over a hundred images all at once. I went to the bottom of the folder and pressed the left mouse button and held it. I then highlighted the six rows and then dragged it to the top of the screen so that the computer would begin to select all of the images in the folder. It took a long time to scroll. When it was done I right clicked the section and selected "send to" and sent the images to the flash card. It took a while for it to load.

I also decided to send some Wordpress instruction videos using the same method. The files transferred with no problem even though the flash card was formatted to work with my Sanyo digital camera.

I switched off Vista and restarted the HP booting into Ubuntu. I was glad to see that a new drive icon appeared on the desktop. I right clicked the icon and selected "Open". The first thing I noticed was that the images on the flash drive were almost instantly visible in the window even with me scrolling down the file very fast. There was no hesitation with the scrolling the way it would in Vista or Leopard. My 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo on the Mac Book can't even do that. This HP has a 2.3 GHz AMD LE 1300 Sempron with only 2 GB RAM.

I transferred the videos first. Wow! They transferred out of the flash drive very fast.

When I highlighted the images it was done by choosing "select all" with a right click. When they transferred it was almost finished instantly. Compared to Vista this OS flies.

What is it about Vista and even Leopard that make them run so much slower than Ubuntu? I did try playing with a video editing program on Ubuntu and it did seem sluggish. I didn't do anything more than play a video using Kdenlive. I don't know if the editing will be slower than iMovie. I'll find out one of these days.

Still I'm very impressed with the speed of Ubuntu on my HP computer. It was bought in 2009 as a spare computer. When Vista got a virus I wiped the drive and did a dual boot. I'm so glad that I tried Ubuntu.

Now that the portable iDevices can be operated without being tied to a desktop computer, it is possible to have one along with a Linux distro as my only OS. As things are progressing with Ubuntu and Apple's latest desktop OS becomes more CPU hungry, I just might make the switch permanent as soon as Netflix can play on Linux. That might not be too long from now since Netflix will be running on Chromebooks soon.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the speed difference might be due to MS and Apple thinking that eye candy is more important than function, being that computers are much more powerful now than they were years ago.

I remember seeing the target system specs MS had for Vista. MS was under the assumption that everyone would be using 4 GHz CPUs and we would all have high performance graphics cards and 4 GB of memory. I would have no doubt that Apple thinks the same way.

So, while Ubuntu is pretty, I think that overall Linux has been developed to be more of an agile OS, versus a bloated OS.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference may also be a question of defaults. Ubuntu running the default Gnome desktop environment has a lot of eye candy too, but the high octane stuff is turned off by default. In OSX and Windows, the high octane eye candy runs by default and I'm not sure it can be turned off. Ubuntu is not even a fast distro in the Linux world, and it is considered bloated by some. There are a number of distros that are lighter and faster, even ones that are Ubuntu or Debian derivatives, so they operate in much the same way. Two that I recommend are CrunchBang and Bodhi. The latter is built from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, with some updated packages. It runs on the Enlightenment window manager, which is very nicely designed and configurable, yet much faster than Gnome.
edgardito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a developer and as a Power User, I have several problems using Linux as my regular Desktop.
It does not matter whatever distro I use.

Since Linux has no "Owner" or "CEO" , it is up to the users to decide which software components they will use. This is amazing, because you can run any Windows Manager/ Desktop Manager/ Driver Manager and any kind of Manager out there.

But if you develop some app for a desktop, like Gnome, you will need to use several Gnome Libraries (GTK), and if the user uses something different, he wont be able to run your app.

Software Repositories and Modern Package managers have solved this issue, but not entirely. I still have problems with pieces of software that requires some library that is not ported to some linux distro, and can't run the apps I want.

Windows and Mac os X on the other hand have decided for a GUI, and several Libraries that come pre-loaded with the OS (Win32, Cocoa, Quartz, .NET, etc).
I am not saying this does not happen with Windows and Mac Development, but it is not like in Linux.

On the other hand, I have developed several Server-Oriented applications, programmed in C, using Linux IPC, Sockets, Daemons, etc. Linux is great for this. I have moved several services I had programmed in .NET/Java to Linux C Daemons, and had no problems ever again. I usually use CentOS for this (because I like having a GUI) but my services have no user interface at all (only Syslogd).

Ubuntu has become, in my opinion, a great distro, and its package repository is similar to Apple's App Store. But not every app made for linux is on this Repository.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Two that I recommend are CrunchBang and Bodhi. The latter is built from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, with some updated packages. It runs on the Enlightenment window manager, which is very nicely designed and configurable, yet much faster than Gnome.

I remember that Ubuntu 10.04 was about 690 megabytes. I see that Bodhi is somewhere in the 400s. With both being so small how is Bodhi much faster in daily usage? If I have several programs within Ubuntu that I never use and never turn on, how is it that their existence slows down the operation when the hard drive is 320 gigabytes?

On Bodhi I'd probably load Firefox and some other things I use within Ubuntu. Wouldn't that make Bodhi run at the same speed as Ubuntu because I was utilizing the same programs?

Windows Vista took three DVDs of storage space. I see it loaded on its partition and it is taking up over 11 GB of disc space. How does that work? Does Ubuntu show up much larger on the hard drive than it does on a DVD?

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering about my last question. Anybody?

I visited the Bodhi site at www.BodhiLinux.com and it looks like a winner. It will be my next Linux OS. I like the Enlightenment interface because it can be changed very easily. Some of the themes do look much better than Ubuntu.

Since it has Ubuntu underpinnings it should behave the same regarding speed. It might even be faster though I doubt I'll be able to notice it. Sometime this fall I'll probably get around to making the change. I've got a couple of projects that I'm doing within Ubuntu that I don't want to disrupt.

I wonder just how my life might be different if I had heard of Linux five years ago. Would it have been easy enough for me to install and get working with only one computer? Would I have skipped the Apple experience because I would have been happy using Linux? I'm glad I found it. It gave me hope for my HP computer becoming something I would enjoy using instead of cursing at because of Vista.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading about Bodhi a bit back, I gave it a try on my peecee. I really wanted to install on a certain drive, but I wanted it to install into the partition I had for Linux.

After getting running, the user interface wouldn't work fully, and each time I tried to configure it, the configuration tool would fail.

Then I had enough of it, and booted back in to Windows. Oh joy! I had to rebuild the file allocation tables, and wasn't able to get a drive to mount.

Later on, when Windows MBR finally crapped out, and I rebuilt it a gajillion times, the drive that wouldn't mount showed up again! That was great since it was my target drive for Handbrake.

All in all, I think I'll avoid Bodhi.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I remember that Ubuntu 10.04 was about 690 megabytes. I see that Bodhi is somewhere in the 400s. With both being so small how is Bodhi much faster in daily usage? If I have several programs within Ubuntu that I never use and never turn on, how is it that their existence slows down the operation when the hard drive is 320 gigabytes?

On Bodhi I'd probably load Firefox and some other things I use within Ubuntu. Wouldn't that make Bodhi run at the same speed as Ubuntu because I was utilizing the same programs?

The difference in size has little or no impact on speed. Extra programs take up HD space, but unless they are running something in the background, they have no impact on speed just because they are there. The exception would be if the volume is small and the extra programs are filling it up. Full volumes do operate slower than empty ones because of greater fragmentation.

However, Bodhi definitely runs faster than Ubuntu. It isn't because of the extra programs, but rather because the Ubuntu desktop environment is Gnome, which is full-featured and therefore draws more on the processor. Enlightenment seems pretty full-featured in terms of ability to customize, but it is considered only a window manager, not a desktop environment. It requires much less processor power to operate.

The two heavy desktop environments in Linux are Gnome and KDE. Two lighter ones that will run faster are XFCE and LXDE. The lighter window managers include enlightenment, openbox (which CrunchBang uses) and fluxbox. You can install any of these DE's or WM's on Ubuntu and run them instead of Gnome, but something about the way it's configured keeps you from getting the full speed benefit of running the lighter system. However, variants of Ubuntu that use the lighter DE or WM do run faster. A good example is Lubuntu, which uses LXDE and is quite fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: