123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis Reply with quote

Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

Macworld has posted a series of benchmark results for the new Mac minis released this week. The testing pretty much confirms earlier results, which showed a giant leap in processor performance over the previous generation. And based on Macworld's testing, that led to better iTunes encoding, HandBrake encoding, and Cinebench CPU scores. Their graphics testing, which included Cinebench GPU and Call of Duty 4 tests, showed more mixed results. They have the new 2.3GHz Core i5 Mac mini with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 lagging behind the older 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini with integrated GeForce 320M graphics. But the new 2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini with discrete AMD Radeon HD 6630 graphics, pretty much blows it out of the water. It was able to display nearly twice as many frames per second in Cinebench's OpenGL test, and 53 percent more frames per second in Call of Duty 4. So if you're into gaming, it should be pretty clear which Mac mini to go with. I would suggest that you head on over to Macworld and check out the entire article though. It's an interesting one to say the least.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1675.html

Last edited by admin on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:27 am; edited 2 times in total
mdgm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately they didn't include the 2011 Mini Server in their review.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the server does about the same in graphic testing, but I would still like to see it included more in these reviews. I just think the server model the way to go if you're in the market for a Mac mini. Beyond the better processor, you have two working 7200rpm hard drives from the get-go. Who really knows if that cable will ever come for another hard drive in the standard models?
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
ivan77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'd like to know where u get the second cable from?

OGN wrote:
I bet the server does about the same in graphic testing, but I would still like to see it included more in these reviews. I just think the server model the way to go if you're in the market for a Mac mini. Beyond the better processor, you have two working 7200rpm hard drives from the get-go. Who really knows if that cable will ever come for another hard drive in the standard models?
renzopanta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, would it be a good idea to sell my late 2009 mac mini (4GB, 2.53GHz, HD 320GB) to get the new mac mini (cheapest version)?

From what I understand, it would not, as in terms of performance it would not be an improvement.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Paid 640 for the mini in april 2010. I could sell it for 450, and invest 150 to have the updated model.

Thanks for your advice
tom d

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renzopanta, In reply to your question I think you would have to judge that on what you do. I have just ordered the base model this morning with an Apple cd writer from Macconnection, $579, no tax, no ship charges. I just use it for internet, email, letters, youtube and a few movies and itunes.

The scores for the new minis as far as speed and faster capabilities are about 35 to 40 % faster than the 2010 mini.

I would suggest that you follow the posts and links by Phill Carrio (I know I just murdered his last name, I,m sorry} he has just modded a mini and has great links to his work with pictures.

tom d

Phill I apologize I have CRS this morning
renzopanta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tom d.

It is just that it's hard to find comparisons between the top of the line late 2009 (4GB ram) and the base model mid 2011 (2GB ram)...
As these comparisons usually tend to focus on similar configurations.

I will try to gather this info on the web.
Thanks.
R.
tom d

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow the recent posts of PhilAcarrio yoy will see his scores he has a 2009 2.53 a 2.66 a 2010 model and a base new one. He has it all covered, he posts here as well as Macrumors.

tom d
renzopanta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks will do.
have a nice day

Renzo
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renzopanta wrote:
Hi guys, would it be a good idea to sell my late 2009 mac mini (4GB, 2.53GHz, HD 320GB) to get the new mac mini (cheapest version)?

It's like Tom D said, it depends on what you do with the Mini. Do you plan on using it more? ...are those tasks CPU/graphics intensive? ...do you think your Mini is starting to feel slower? ...etc...

I'm also considering upgrading my 2010 Mac Mini. I've been using Core i5/i7 computers for a few months, and some with SSD's, and ever since I can tell that my Mini is very slow in comparison.

In my case, I haven't ran into issues where the Mini can't do something (although iDVD and Handbrake causes it to crash often), but I have realized there are things it be able to do faster if it only had more processing power, and a faster HDD or SSD. Getting more done in less time is good for me, even if it's just minutes.
renzopanta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use it for very basic things. Checking my email, web browsing, managing my pictures...

I have recently noticed that it's getting slower and slower.
The new version of iPhoto, for instance, is so slow!
10 seconds to open, not as smooth as it used to be when browsing through the pics, and 1-2 secs rendering time when moving from a pic to the next one...

Still usable, but it might be the right time to upgrade, spending about 150 euros and getting a latest model with 1 yr warranty
tom d

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are having a slow down, go into the disk utility and run Preferences, then empty your browser cashe, if that doesn't help clone your hard drive with Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner to another hard drive and then back again. I don't do much more than you, and mine has been okay, I use a 2010 mini.
tom d
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the main reason!!!

You need to understand something...

Amd/Ati try to build good graphic cards but always fall short on performance it sucks they didn't need to use the shared graphic memory option ATI makes a windows based gpu that is hd that is on compaq computers that requires no heatsink and no shared memory but they didn't use it which sucks shared memory will always bring the performance down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: