123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Time Capsule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Apple Updates Time Capsule Reply with quote

Apple Updates Time Capsule
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

Apple quietly updated their Time Capsule lineup this morning. The Time Capsule combines a simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi base station and server-grade hard disk for automatic wireless back-up with Time Machine. It also features Gigabit Ethernet and a USB port for connecting printers and hard drives to the base station. The Time Capsule is available now in two configurations, a 2TB model for $299 and a 3TB model for $499.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1644.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are all the new "iCloud" and syncing features?" I think the rumor sites got this one wrong.
iLife's a Bitch!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny why would i want to pay that much when i can purchase a older time capsule void the warrenty on the unit and upgrade the drive myself that seems rather expensive for 2tb when you can get a 2tb hard drive for 99.99 and upgrade your time machine yourself.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Funny why would i want to pay that much when i can purchase a older time capsule void the warrenty on the unit and upgrade the drive myself that seems rather expensive for 2tb when you can get a 2tb hard drive for 99.99 and upgrade your time machine yourself.

It's not just a $99 hard drive, it's a server grade hard drive.

There is no need to void the warranty by upgrading the internal drive. You can add additional hard drives through the USB or ethernet.

p.s. If you buy AppleCare your Time Capsule also gets a 3 year warranty in addition to 3 years of networking phone support. This is a pretty good deal.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that worries me about Time Capsule, and also why I no longer have one, is the fact that there's only one hard drive in there. The new 2 and 3TB models seem amazing, but what if the hard drive crashes? ...there goes 2 or 3TB worth of data, and recovery services aren't cheap (many times they can't even recover all the data).

I know Apple markets the device as a backup solution, and as a backup solution I really would not mind of my Time Capsule fails (maybe a bit ), since all the data would still be on the computers being backed-up. Having 3TB of HDD just for back-ups is much for most, and personally I would also like to use the space to store music, movies, photos, important documents, etc... that I don't have room for on computers, or need to access from multiple computers.

I suppose this is why the Mac Mini Server, Windows Home Server, and NAS solutions are being marketed more towards consumers and small businesses (actually Microsoft has done a poor job at marketing "Windows Vail") - because if an HDD fails on one of these server solutions, it's ok, all the data is copied on one of the other drives.

Anyways, that's why I no longer have a Time Capsule. I don't believe there's anyway of backing it up on a second drive - but if I'm wrong it be great to know. I would either favor having two 2.5" 1.5TB hard drives (Seagate makes them) in it, or would not mind if it were a bit bigger and allow for 2 or more 3.5" hard drives (sort of like a real NAS solution).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: