123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac Minis and Mac Pros Coming in August?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRecob wrote:
Hopefully WD's offerings are right around the corner as well

Personally, I will probably never get another external WD drive again. I bought one that had the controller card integrated into the drive (therefore you could not upgrade the drive, or replace it if it failed). There was also back-up software built into the firmware. The drive would continually mount itself (even after you unmounted it) in an attempt to run the back-up software.
Others reported extremely slow transfer times due to the firmware.
I phone WD and spoke to some of their senior technicians. They said there was no way to disable the proprietary firmware.

Bottom line I'm fine with WD drives, but not their enclosures.

I sell LaCie drives and my customers love them. I have one myself and so does my GF. Zero issues. They sleep when they are supposed to. Our computers sleep when they are supposed to. The are quiet, well built, they look good etc. You may pay a few $ more for a LaCie but the value is there.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac Mini should drop in price, as they are still to expensive, certainly everywhere outside the USA.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unblowupable5 wrote:
Not sure why everyone hates the 2010 mini so much. I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for. As an HTPC, I absolutely love it. It's small, silent, sips power, looks at home in a media cabinet (looks more like a home theater component than a computer IMO), and has plenty of power to run EyeTV and Plex. Yeah, I wish I could replace the internal hard drive, but something had to give to get it as sleek as it is. I personally hope they keep the current form factor for a long, long time.

I agree. Apple never meant for the average user to open the Mini, until the current model and that is only to replace RAM. I've got a '10, '09, and '06 Mini. I've upgraded the processor, hdd, and ram in the '06, and hdd and ram in the '09. I had planned recently to completely gut the '10, install a BluRay drive, sdd, and ram. But with the issues that still plague BluRay drives on the OSX side, I decided against this. Besides, sdd are still a but pricey and would limit me to a smaller one than I would like. With both of these things in mind, I decided it was better to wait, and upped the ram to 8gb and got an external BluRay for now. But in no way do I see Apple making the hdd more difficult to access in the '10 a downgrade. It is better looking and fits better into a htpc setup. But using this way is still unique, although probably less so since the inclusion of hdmi. Most users are perfectly content using the current or previous Mini's on a desktop without upgrading a thing in it, as long as it keeps working.

I do, however, think that the price upgrade was a mistake. They should have stayed where they were, or even come down $50 or so. But like Kirk said, their pricing in the US is nowhere what it is in a lot of other countries.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, It's in my country starting at € 699, which is $ 1,003.52, which is including tax (19%). If people can buy a cheap computer without keyboard and screen, they probably buy a brandname (HP) for € 299/ $ 430, so would you think people would buy a tiny Mac, or an upgrade PC with everything and easy access to bigger drives/more memory/USB3/More powerful processors/videocards? And hey, that computer runs Win7, but if you have it put together from quality parts, you can have it running Ubuntu, Linux Mint or whatever taste you like in OS-ses. If you're smart it might even run OS X! Twisted Evil (BTW. I seem to have 2 identities here! Embarassed)
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tax is 19% in the Netherlands??? Shocked Is that for everything or just electronics or computers? Here I am thinking 9.75% in my part or Northern California is high...
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
dag777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirk© wrote:
Correct, It's in my country starting at € 699, which is $ 1,003.52, which is including tax (19%). If people can buy a cheap computer without keyboard and screen, they probably buy a brandname (HP) for € 299/ $ 430, so would you think people would buy a tiny Mac, or an upgrade PC with everything and easy access to bigger drives/more memory/USB3/More powerful processors/videocards? And hey, that computer runs Win7, but if you have it put together from quality parts, you can have it running Ubuntu, Linux Mint or whatever taste you like in OS-ses. If you're smart it might even run OS X! Twisted Evil (BTW. I seem to have 2 identities here! Embarassed)

This is my new custom MacMini, but someone could call it also MacMini Pro. All Aluminum case, SandyBridge i5 desktop CPU 2,5GHz, 8GB RAM (1333MHz), Vertex3 + 1TB Data HDD, USB 3.0 and eSATA hot-swap support, with R.C. and front display - GeekBench above 8000 pt. Cost? 790 EUR.
The only downside for now are the resolutions with intel integrated graphics, but with Lion it should be fine, I couldn't be more happier with it.

Mac Mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB XT 7200 RPM HDD

iPhone 3GS 32GB

G4 1,25 DP PowerMac
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dag777 wrote:
This is my new custom MacMini, but someone could call it also MacMini Pro. All Aluminum case

I'm sure most members on this forum would like more details. Do you have a link to the case. Likely you could start your own thread.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Super mini How To Reply with quote

Yes...........start your own thread and make it a "How To".
And where did you get that case???????
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Some Cool Cases Reply with quote

HERE's a link for some cool cases.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that box have HDMI dag777? More info please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: