123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac OS X Lion Coming in July
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Rosetta spt Reply with quote

I am sure most know this, but keep in mind that Lion drops Rosetta for running any PPC apps you may have (and need to run occasionally). Frankly, even if I were hyped up about Lion, that wouldn't be huge problem, as I could run PPC apps from other computers ... but sometimes, it's more convenient for me to do it from the computer I use most often. Maybe it's age, or the fact that I've been retired for quite some time ... but I don't iPhone, don't iPad or iPod and I really have some deep rooted bias against the App Store ... so I personally don't see myself moving to Lion until forced to. Of course, it's plain to see in which direction Jobs is moving us. I don't see him changing his vision just because I don't share it! So, I accept it and will adapt when necessary. Anyway .... if you are unsure that you actually have PPC apps on your computer that you have been (unknowingly) running under Rosetta, you can always open up your system profiler and look under Applications. You will be able to see which of your apps are actually PPC only code.
G4 Mac Mini, 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM;
G3 iBook, 900 MHz, 640 MB RAM;
G3 iMac, 266 MHz, 384 MB RAM;
PPC 8500, G3 500 MHz (Sonnet), 832 MB RAM
saul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly the only PPC app on my notebook is from one of the newest installs:

Microsoft Query:

Version: 10.0.0
Last Modified: 8/25/10 3:00 AM
Kind: PowerPC
64-Bit (Intel): No
Get Info String: 10.0.0 (1204) Copyright 1995-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Location: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Microsoft Query
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed they kept Lion priced the same as Snow Leopard. Take that on top of a mostly free iCould and I'm wondering how Apple is going to make it. Wink
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosetta spt Reply with quote

drh wrote:
I am sure most know this, but keep in mind that Lion drops Rosetta for running any PPC apps you may have (and need to run occasionally).

I didn't even install Rosetta with Snow Leopard. The applications in Office 2004 were really the last ones that I was using. And that was in Leopard.

I think it's great that Apple kept the price at $30 dollars. I just wish that it wasn't a Mac App store only offering. Having a physical disc is a big plus in my book. Even easy having a way to burn one for backup would be acceptable.
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, My mini is running 10.6.7 (newest version, I think?) and I found I have quite a few ppc apps (seldom run most of them though). Strangely three apps: Desktop, Flashplayer, and Quicktime, are marked as "ppc". How can this be? Any idea what's going on? I am considering to upgrade to Lion later, but what's with this ppc issue? Now I am not so sure. Any help and advice?
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this "vivily" posted a scam ad with nothing related to the topic. The team moderator should take care of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: