123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e readers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: e readers? Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting an e-reader, mostly to play around with for various needs, possibly get text books on it, but I'm noticing a problem, the Kindle looked great, until I found out no epub support, so any work around or other device recommendations?

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an 1st gen iPad in a month after the price drops. Speculating that the 2nd gen iPad is released in Feb.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the free app Calibre, dungeon. It works a treat at converting various formats . I use it all the time to convert various formats to ePub for the iPad. I'm sure it works for the kindle as well

http://calibre-ebook.com

I'm actually considering getting a Kindle. My eyes have been really suffering recently, I've had very sore tired eyes since christmas. I'm not sure if it's related but I have been doing a lot of reading on the iPad, staring at that back lit display.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up getting a kobo since Border's had them for $100, not bad so far.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Ended up getting a kobo since Border's had them for $100, not bad so far.

What were the features of the Kobo that got you to choose it over the others? Does the Kobo have benefits over the others?

At Wal-Mart I tried a Sony six inch model and several versions of the Barns & Noble Nook. The all color model wasn't there. Of the two brands I found that the Nook screens have slightly sharper text. What I didn't like about them was their size. I could hold a Nook in one hand but it wasn't comfortable because my fingers were stretched out. I could hold the smaller Sony with one hand with ease. My thumb and fingers could wrap around it better.

What I didn't like about the Sony was that there were too many buttons on the sides. Having an e-reader the size of the Sony with much sharper text, and with no buttons on the sides to interfere with holding it would be ideal for me.

Color e-ink exists now but I haven't seen any examples in person. New models in 2011 should have color e-ink, though the founder of Amazon.com clearly stated that his Kindle wouldn't be using color e-ink until the technology is better. That was just a few months ago.

Another feature I'd like would be a touch screen though having properly placed buttons for magnification would be OK too.

I've gotten eye strain using my LCD computer screens. I wouldn't want to have that happening to me while reading books. I've read a few posts on another message board about eye strain related to iPads. Some people think it is impossible for it to happen and others have reported that it happened to them. I'm concerned about eye strain using an iPad as an e-reader. That is why I think I'd prefer an e-reader with e-ink for books.

As long as it could read multiple formats, whether they came from Amazon; Sony, or Barns & Noble, I'll be happy. I don't believe people should be constrained from purchasing content from just one vendor. That is why I originally rejected the Kindle. I think now it can read more file types than it did when it came out.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Kindle yesterday, and with Calibre's assistance I've not had any problems getting it to read my ePub files. I load the epub into Calibre do a quick conversion to mobi and then send the file to the Kindle.

Recently I've been reading a lot of books on my iPad, using mainly the iBooks app but I've also used the Kindle app and Stanza. I think the back lit screen has been causing me to suffer with eye strain which was why I decided to give the Kindle a try. I've only had the kindle a couple of days now but it does seem much easier to read on, the text is sharper and much easier on my eyes.

The Kindle could be so much better though, the interface is far from Apple like and really needs Apple to show them how to do an interface, it's a little frustrating at times. It has a qwerty keyboard but no number pad so you have to do a lot of fiddling around. Im sure it will be fine once I'm use to it and it's great for reading books but anything else it becomes very clunky to use, which is bad considering this is a 3rd generation device. Web browsing on it is awful Embarassed I think I've been spoilt with the iPad.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
taylorm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to buy a machine just for ebook reading kindle has an edge over ipad. However if you want to do other techie thing also then ipad is the obvious choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: