123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

orig G4 mini upgrade plan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myminiproject

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: orig G4 mini upgrade plan? Reply with quote

I just got a G4 mini (1.25GHz) for free and want to use it as a cabin NAS and movie server (non-HD stuff, old TV). I need to keep the cost of upgrades minimal to compete with other options (e.g., Patriot Box Office). My plan is to upgrade to the max 1GB RAM, add an external firewire (SATA) 2.5" HDD (double sticky tape to the mini), and use a VGA to RCA adapter for the TV.

From reading this forum, these upgrades seem straight forward. Is there anything not in the specs that I should know (e.g., max capacity of external drive, other upgrades I should consider, etc.). I'm using Firewire for the HDD so that I'll have the USB ports available of other potential uses (e.g., N wifi adpt, stick drive).

Can the Firewire port power the external 2.5" drive? The Apple Spec says 8 watts, but it is difficult to find the spec for many Firewire cases. Ideally, I don't want to use a USB port and AC adapter for power.

EDIT: A WD 500GB drive only needs 2.5W, so it seems 8W is sufficient for one external drive.

Thanks for all your opinions,
Jeff
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an external 2.5" enclosure with my
PPC iMac G4. When it was just attached
via FW400 it mostly worked fine. But it
didn't always work fine. Sometimes it was
flakey. After I attached its A/C adapter
everything has been fine. Its ok to go
through with your plan but it may not
work the way you want it to in the end.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using it for the movie server, I would imagine it would be up to the job.

Off hand I wouldn't expect the VGA to RCA adapter to work. If I recall correctly, these things never seemed to work out for anyone back in the day.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: