123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI or Mini Displayport?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigfried

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: HDMI or Mini Displayport? Reply with quote

I just read on two different forums, that the Mini Displayport has more bandwidth, and better image quality, than HDMI. I was always under the assumption that HDMI was as good as it got.
Can anyone verify this for me? I am not interested in carrying the audio over my connection as i am using an external USB DAC for that.

I just got a Panasonic 1080p 120hz LCD monitor and want to get the best image quality i can. Plus i am having some issues in the 24hz setting when selected although that is producing the best image quality between 24hz and 60hz. I am currently running Belkin PureAV 1080p Belkin cable... HDMI to HDMI

Thanks!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet good money, that: as long as you get a "working" connection at the pixel-mapped level, ALL DIGITAL links to your monitor will give you indistinguishably good results.

That includes DVI, HDMI, (mini)DisplayPort...

Happy to be proved wrong though?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DisplayPort is potentially better, but depends on the application, HDMI seems optimized for video, DisplayPort for more of an all around, in your face HDMI connection as it was created more to get around the paying to make anything with HDMI involved than true innovation if you compare the two.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Tal-el

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had done a bit of reading when I got the 2010 mac-mini on whether to go with the built-in HDMI port or go use the miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI.

In the end, I went with the miniDisplayPort route and haven't had any problems at all. Also I am getting sound through this same connection without the use of any other cables.

Things are a bit fuzzy and I don't know if these issues were ever true or if they are still true. So you may want to verify these for yourself. I ran across a couple of things that pushed me away from the built-in HDMI port. One of them being that people were posting problems using the HDMI port, where their machine was crashing, if they turned off there display while the computer was still on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: