123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading External Drive with HFS+ and NTSF partitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Upgrading External Drive with HFS+ and NTSF partitions Reply with quote

I thought that I would post this and let you know how I formatted my new 1TB external for both HFS+ and NTFS. It had been a few years since I had done that so I checked the internet and got an array of contrary information. But this is what worked for me.

Pretty simple and straightforward.

In Mac:
Disk Utility> Partition
-create two partitions. You'll determine their sizes.
Partition 1 format HFS+ I named it MAC External
Partition 2 format MS DOS (FAT) I named it W7 External

-Exit Mac

In Windows 7
Open Disk Management
Locate your external drive.
You will see the Mac partition and you will see an Unallocated partition. Choose the Unallocated partition, (that will become your W7) but you will need to name it and format it NTSF.

-Exit Disk Management

Done.

That was it. Hope it works for you as well.

More room is nice on both sides. I did my image and then backup copy for W7. And now in Mac I decided to use Time Machine for the very first time, since I found this application to schedule Time Machine more eco nomically (hour, or day, or week, or month...instead of it's current hourly updating). I could see why people ran out of hard drive space. The free application I found is called Time Machine Editor. Hope it works, if not I will do a SuperDuper clone and call that good. The link for Time Machine Editor http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Also on a side note, the new drive is a Hitachi 7200/1TB and it was so quiet that I had to check the enclosure repeatedly to reafirm that it was running. Very very very quiet drive. This drive replaced the original noisy Seagate that was in my LaCie Quadra2 enclosure. And firewire does really play a key role when using these larger drive.

Hope some of this information is beneficial to our members.
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: