123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24HZ issue with Panny LCD 1080p 120hz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigfried

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: 24HZ issue with Panny LCD 1080p 120hz Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Just received a New Mac Mini and i upgraded it immediately to 4gb Ram. I purchased a Panasonic TC-L32U3 32" LCD screen to use as my desktop monitor.
Hooked the Mini to the Panny HDMI to HDMI and fired it up. Wow everything looks great and works great until i turned the TV off later and turned it back on.

What the issue is, and what i am experiencing is, at 24HZ the screen on the Panny go's black, and then will come back on randomly. This is totally haphazard and sometimes it will stay on for long period of times without issue.
I switched over to 60hz to see if this would happen on that setting and it does not happen. 60hz works just fine as of now but it doesn't look nearly as good for HD content movies on Netflix....not even close. I prefer it for PC mode as the text seems better and the mouse works much better in the 60hz setting.

Also, sometimes when watching a HD movie the beautiful image will suddenly degrade. This may have something to do with the stream but i was wondering if the graphics card was having a hard time keeping up in 24hz mode possibly?

I totally plead ignorance when it comes to 24hz and 60hz mode and would appreciate any help in how to stop the TV from randomly going blank and then reappearing and so on. This goes on way to long to really be acceptable. It seems that it is worse when i first turn the Panasonic on but the problem is sporadicly persistant. Last night i watched two entire movies without incident but halfway through the one movie the picture degraded substantially from the HD great image i had prior.

Thanks for any help on this. I can see this driving me crazy very shortly. After seeing the image i was getting it will be hard to stick with 60hz. Also, i am using a Belkin PURE AV HDMI cable. The container read that it supports high speed and 1080p

Help kind ladies and sirs.. Shocked
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all clued up on TV systems and so I'm not sure what the 24HZ is about.

The US electrical supply is 60HZ and the TV frame rate for an interlaced signal is usually 29.97 frames per second. It takes 2 full scans to change the whole picture which syncs with the electrical supply.

In the UK electrical supply we use a 50Hz signal so for TV we use a 25 frames per second refresh rate

Where are you see 24Hz ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
sigfried

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I see the 24hz in the setting in the Mac Mini under "System Preferences" and then "Display". There in the upper right it gives me two options to choose from. One is 24hz and the other is 60hz(NTSC)
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just logged into my Mini to have a look at the options and I also have a 24Hz option but it's greyed out.

Mine says

24 Hertz
50 Hertz (PAL)
60 Hertz (NTSC)

I have it set on 50 Hertz being in the UK

I had a look around at why you would want 24Hz as usually a higher refresh rate is preferable. I found a couple of forums discussing it and it generated a mixed response on both I read.

some more info here 24p

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
sigfried

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Cypher! I will read through that.

Not sure why i should choose 24hz as i am not savvy on the technicals but i do know that the images are clearer and focused in a very good way. Even the audio coming out of my HRT Media Streamer II+ DAC (awesome product btw) sounds better adding more spaciousness and depth in comparison to running in 60hz mode.

Like i mention, the only downside on this for me is the screen randomly going black and the mouse being a bit laggy. If i could get it to not to go black and or blank i would just use 24hz for movie viewing and switch back to 60hz for PC use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: