123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MACMINI1,1 Upgrade Journey Continues CPU/MEM/HD/SATA eXT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonmstr

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: MACMINI1,1 Upgrade Journey Continues CPU/MEM/HD/SATA eXT Reply with quote

I hope to add some pictures later but my Mac Mini Early life macmini1,1 upgrades have reached their peak.

I decide to go with the T7200 due to most compatible and seem to limit my overheat chances. $80.00 great deal.

So the need for 4GB was reached when I order my new mini some time ago.

But my original was such a work horse that I could not let it go without a give it new life.

Originally-
HD: 80GB upgraded to 500

memory: 1GB upgraded to 2GB - macmini1,1 no chance of ever getting 3GB - $50.00 few years back great deal at time.

USB VGA for dual monitor support: Nice feature of the older that unit is that it uses DVI-I so get full NTSC output from Video unlike the Newer Nvida Mac Mini which is just DVI-D

I notice that my unit was running much hotter when I did my last upgrade. "SATA external Mod". $4.00

I redid the heatsink paste and now much cooler.

My concern about the "SATA external Mod" was that it would no longer have the hard drive filling the space and didn't want to put some other material to keep the flow design if I didn't need to.

So what is the "SATA External Mod"?

I found some SATA expansion cables which have the male connection for less the 4 bucks. I got one without power and one with. I used the combo cable. I only had to make one simple cut at the base to allow the power cables and sata data cable to slip through the hard drive carrier and one cut to feed it through the bottom.

Why did I want this option( may convert my other mini too)?

Although there is no port multiplier support on the SATA controller; it now give me access to the controller to boot other drives and also install OSs that dont have a USB or firewire driver to allow it to install and boot from USB or firmware. The nice thing about OS X you can boot your mini and running off of USB/ firewire 4/8 without issues. Another reason I like OS X and Apple. Any Yes 1 and 2 TB Hard drive as the boot drive.

Happy Upgrades.

Guess if I can find a late 2007 MB may consider the 3GB; would be nice for more apps and VMs.

More on Temperature history and SATA Mod later.

-j

So I thought my Journey ended.. but I was wrong.

As I now have an i7 16GB mini I kept finding all the stuff I loose in Mountain Lion that I have with Snow Leopard.

As I was migrating my 3,1 I continue to find that I cant leave my 1,1.

So what did a do.

Updated the Flash to 1,1 to 2,1 - opened up my box again and read it wrong so had been running still on 2GB. My big mistake as it was label 2GB Kit.

I knew early on that my 4GB kit did not work at the start. I started to recall and decided to open back up my box. Added a 4GB kit I had used in another small PC and sure thing. 4GB macmini 1,1 to 2,1 and usable 3GB of memory.

I am so happy. Although my plans for the i7 and migration is still on I am please to find that I have continue to Push the limits on my Early macmini1,1.

As a side note, some time ago I modified the case so I have an external SATA connection to connect any drive I want to test with any OS.

So what do I have now?

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.3f4

It was a macmini1,1 Core Duo (T2300).

(T7200) Intel Core 2 Duo : so far was the right pic not to over heat or over clock my system and it lasted a long time for me as you may have noticed.

Last edited by jonmstr on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most interesting!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jonmstr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: The Journey continues Macmini1,1 coverted to 2,1 with 4GB Reply with quote

So I thought my Journey ended.. but I was wrong.

As I now have an i7 16GB mini I kept finding all the stuff I loose in Mountain Lion that I have with Snow Leopard.

As I was migrating my 3,1 I continue to find that I cant leave my 1,1.

So what did a do.

Updated the Flash to 1,1 to 2,1 - opened up my box again and read it wrong so had been running still on 2GB. My big mistake as it was label 2GB Kit.

I knew early on that my 4GB kit did not work at the start. I started to recall and decided to open back up my box. Added a 4GB kit I had used in another small PC and sure thing. 4GB macmini 1,1 to 2,1 and usable 3GB of memory.

I am so happy. Although my plans for the i7 and migration is still on I am please to find that I have continue to Push the limits on my Early macmini1,1.

As a side note, some time ago I modified the case so I have an external SATA connection to connect any drive I want to test with any OS.

So what do I have now?

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.3f4

It was a macmini1,1 Core Duo (T2300).

(T7200) Intel Core 2 Duo : so far was the right pic not to over heat or over clock my system and it lasted a long time for me as you may have noticed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: