123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blu-Ray
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmpell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Blu-Ray Reply with quote

Is anybody running an external Blu-Ray drive on their mini? If so, what drive are you using and what programs are you using to rip and playback content? Look forward to your responses.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're only talking about playback and ripping?

I believe the only playback mechanism (without re-ripping the entire Blu-ray disc) is by using Windows on your mini. Sad

To rip on OSX, you would need Toast with the Blu-ray plug-in to read the disc - and Toast "Convert" function will produce files you can playback under OSX.

Toast with the Blu-ray plug-in is, of course, also the easiest Blu-ray burning app. (and Blu-ray Disc data read/write app.) for OSX.
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my external BR player on my Mini (in Windows, though). I can't remember it's specs, it's old and somewhat dated. Keep in mind, that you can actually convert an internal BR player to an external. Check out OWC's website, that's where I got mine. I would also recommend getting one with as many peripheral types as possible, i.e. USB 3, eSATA or SATA, FireWire 800. Regular USB is really to slow for good BR play back, and FireWire 400, I have found is hinky for video playing in general.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can rip with MakeMKV. Playback with VLC, Plex, or XBMC.

The easiest way might be to get a BD drive and an external Firewire/USB case.

As mentioned there currently isn't any way to playback the BD like a DVD in OS X.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
funkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a fairly cheap external drive, and have been ripping with MakeMKV. The drive is a little flimsy, but it's working fine. MakeMKV has been absolutely flawless so far. The interface is a little clunky, but it's been able to rip everything I've thrown at it. The only problem is my '07 Mini cant play back the 1080p files with out dropping frames, so I rip them down to 720p with handbrake.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkle: May I ask: did you need Toast+Blu-ray plug-in to read BDs with that drive? or some other add-on software??
funkle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
funkle: May I ask: did you need Toast+Blu-ray plug-in to read BDs with that drive? or some other add-on software??

No, just MakeMKV. It is all you need.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkle wrote:
mooblie wrote:

No, just MakeMKV. It is all you need.

Very interesting! Thanks!
T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to buy one of these babies, and put it in my 2011 Mac Mini, when I get one. Quite cheap, and I'll get to know the inner workings of the Mini straight away then.

A guy from MacRumors.com said that it worked perfectly in his 2010 Mac mini, hence that is why I am buying it.
SeaLawyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T'hain Esh kelch wrote:
I'm going to buy one of these babies, and put it in my 2011 Mac Mini, when I get one. Quite cheap, and I'll get to know the inner workings of the Mini straight away then.

A guy from MacRumors.com said that it worked perfectly in his 2010 Mac mini, hence that is why I am buying it.

Keep us posted. Been a while since I looked at this. Looks like it's gotten easier adn cheaper than a few years ago.
jmpell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. If I understand correctly I can rip Blu-Ray discs in OSX with programs like makemkv. I just cannot play Blu Rays without ripping them first. I presently rip DVDs with handbrake and I just picked up a Drobo so I have the space now and I want to give the Blu Ray ripping a try. From what I have been told before posting is that the major problem with Blu Ray ripping is the space required to store the files. Can I playback the files in Boxee?
jmpell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. If I understand correctly I can rip Blu-Ray discs in OSX with programs like makemkv. I just cannot play Blu Rays without ripping them first. I presently rip DVDs with handbrake and I just picked up a Drobo so I have the space now and I want to give the Blu Ray ripping a try. From what I have been told before posting is that the major problem with Blu Ray ripping is the space required to store the files. Can I playback the files in Boxee?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your mini and the overall bit rate of the content.

If you can't play it, just HandBrake it, and you'll be good to go.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
funkle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmpell wrote:

That's right. You end up with about a 22-28 gig file from a BluRay and about 4-6 for a DVD using MakeMKV. It is very fast - as fast as your drive can read - I'm ripping a BR in well under an hour, and a DVD in as little as 10 minutes. The quality is great, totally uncompressed. If you have the space, & want the highest quality, it can be a good way to go. I'm not trying to amass a gigantic collection. I use a 2G external USB drive, I weed the stuff I dont need anymore.

The only problem I'm having is that 1080P is pushing the limits of my Mini, so I'm having to compress using handbrake to 720P to avoid dropped frames. '09 or '10 minis should be fine though.
caversmoon

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new but is MakeMKV made for the mac or do you run it in windows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: