123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates iMac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Who actually services an iMac on their own anyways?

I have an almost four year old iMac, which is now out of Applecare. I definitely didn't want to go pulling it apart whilst it was in warranty and so I went the external route for additional storage rather than upgrading the internal one but if the HDD did fail I sure as hell would be working out how to remove the screen and get to the hard drive as the alternative would be to get ripped off by Apple or to scrap it. Shocked

I'd probably just run off an external boot drive rather than scrapping it but should it fail I'd be pulling it to bits and probably fitting a nice fast SSD in place of the stock drive and getting a performance boost as well. I'd definitely want the option of doing it myself.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local independent Apple authorized reseller / service center charges $47.50 labor to swap out a hard drive. However, I read that installing a non OEM Apple drive will void your warranty on these new iMacs.

I'll source that info on Monday and share it with you all.

Again this isn't a big deal. If the drive fails while under warranty, Apple will cover the cost. If the drive fails after warranty, it doesn't matter what you install.

The people who will be affected by all of this are the people who want to upgrade, while under warranty.
Mm

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a deal breaker for me, and it doesn't have to be this way. On my G5 iMac I can swap out the HD in 5 minutes. Talk about a step backward for the consumer. But I see a trend here; makes me worry about the upcoming mini update.
mini #1: 1.4 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD
mini #2: Late 2009 mini. 2.53 Ghz, 500 GB 7200 rpm HD. 4 GB RAM. Geekbench=3526
Black MacBook 2.4 Ghz
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 250 Gb HD
Cube 1.4 ghz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: