123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mp4 playing on 'new' but 5 year old macmini.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdseven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: mp4 playing on 'new' but 5 year old macmini. Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

First time poster and I can't believe such a site exists. I need some help and I hope some kind folk here can offer me the best advice (I have been on other sites trying to get answers but they don't cover everything I need to know).

I recently bought a factory sealed five year old macmini 1.42ghz, it was a real bargain buy that I could not resist, I don't think many would.

I would like to set it up as multimedia centre connected to a Philips HDTV 42'' where I can use front row to watch movies, look at photos, listen to Podcasts , etc. I will update the OS on the mini to 10.5.8.

Now my question is that I will be using the latest version of Handbrake on an Intel 24'' iMac using Snow Leopard to rip movies into Mpg4 to watch in iTunes. Can someone please advise me what is the best setting to use bearing in mind that the mpg4 movies will be played on the Macmini with its G4 chip. What setting do I use? What screen resolution do I pick? Is or has anyone have a similar set up that they can offer me tips and tricks? I have been googling for hours and I am getting nowhere!!!

Thanks for any advice offered.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Because your mini is older, I would transcode to Apple TV settings and see if you like the quality. At least if you do this, if you ever switch to an Apple TV you won't need to do it all over again.

I see you were already on the Handbrake forum, but nobody replied. There are some good threads on that forum that detail settings and why.

You can also search this forum with the "search feature" type in "handbrake and settings".
mcdseven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Because your mini is older, I would transcode to Apple TV settings and see if you like the quality. At least if you do this, if you ever switch to an Apple TV you won't need to do it all over again.

I see you were already on the Handbrake forum, but nobody replied. There are some good threads on that forum that detail settings and why.

You can also search this forum with the "search feature" type in "handbrake and settings".

Hi bill,

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. Believe me I have searched and searched but my problem is a lack of understanding of even the basics of decoding and ripping! But I'm slowly getting my head around it! So it seems apple tv preset is the way to go. I'll try that but still this site is a great find could be a great source now that I have a mini albeit an old one. Thanks again
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the price was right!

You might be able to get away with the AppleTV settings, however that mini is more of a desktop type system.

While you won't be saving any space, I almost think that you might be better of using something like Mac The Ripper to create an optimized disc image, and then play that with the DVD player app.

I say this because my G4 mini is slightly better(slightly faster and more VRAM) than yours, and it has a hard time playing straight up DVD rips made with MakeMKV, but it doesn't have a problem playing the original DVD. From this I think that OS X handles DVDs differently(ie - hardware decoding the video stream) than video files.

This will also give you the best quality you will be able to get from the material, and you won't have to second guess whether you used the best settings.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mcdseven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I sure hope the price was right!

You might be able to get away with the AppleTV settings, however that mini is more of a desktop type system.

While you won't be saving any space, I almost think that you might be better of using something like Mac The Ripper to create an optimized disc image, and then play that with the DVD player app.

I say this because my G4 mini is slightly better(slightly faster and more VRAM) than yours, and it has a hard time playing straight up DVD rips made with MakeMKV, but it doesn't have a problem playing the original DVD. From this I think that OS X handles DVDs differently(ie - hardware decoding the video stream) than video files.

This will also give you the best quality you will be able to get from the material, and you won't have to second guess whether you used the best settings.

SC

hey thanks Smithcraft,

Im starting to think maybe it was a bad buy, I suppose I was blinded by the fact it was brand new, I paid the 120 euros (178.125 USD) so I don't know if thats a good buy!

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'm going to try the Apple TV settings and see how i get on, if the mini struggle's I'll just look at getting a dedicated Apple TV. You see I really want to take advantage of Front Row or XMBC.
bnumerick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe download some 480p Apple Trailers and see how they do.

http://trailers.apple.com/

Another idea is to use MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) instead of h264. It's not quite as good but it'll be easier to decode.

Last edited by bnumerick on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100 euros would have been a better price, but it was brand new.

You may want to consider selling it and getting an Apple TV. If you've never seen Apple TV in action I suggest you check it out.
mcdseven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
$100 euros would have been a better price, but it was brand new.

You may want to consider selling it and getting an Apple TV. If you've never seen Apple TV in action I suggest you check it out.

yeah I might just do that, Ill see how I get on. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: