123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITunes Radio On IPad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: ITunes Radio On IPad? Reply with quote

Today I went to see an iPad 2 at a local store. Only display units were available, none for sale.

I opened iTunes and didn't see iTunes Radio. Is iTunes Radio missing from the iPad? Does the same go for the iPod and iPhone? I use it all the time when I'm using my other computers. This is an important feature for me.

On the whole I liked that the newer version is very snappy when it comes to browsing. I just need to learn how to operate the address bar. It's a bit different when using touch instead of a mouse. Having instructions would make it much easier.

What other streaming radio programs are available that don't stop every twenty minutes if you don't do something within the browser? That is one reason I don't use AOL Radio when I just want to hear music in the room with the computer.

One thing that caught my attention is something I didn't expect. I wanted to do a speed test so I typed in speedtest.net and when I hit GO it took me to the iTunes App store where there was an app for it instead of the web site to do the test. What happened?

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandora is internet radio. You can try it for free.

As for the redirect of speedtest.net. Some web sites can differentiate between operating systems and devices, and will automatically perform different functions based on what it is using. For example, may sites that have Windows/Mac software will automatically select the correct download for you when you hit "Download". I'm guessing speedtest.net wants you to buy their app, or at least just DL it if it's free.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReliantLion wrote:
Pandora is internet radio. You can try it for free.

I sometimes use Pandora on my computers. Pandora will shut down if the mouse doesn't move within a few songs. I want something that plays all the time without me needing to be at the computer.
Ranter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many Internet radio apps for iOS devices. Exampes include:

WunderRadio
    AOL Radio
    NPR News
    FlyCast
    Tuner

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never encountered Pandora shutting down. But I subscribe the whole whopping $46 dollars a year or w/e it is. I think it would stop after 24 hours, not sure. I turn it off if I'm not using it.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: ITunes Radio On IPad? Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Today I went to see an iPad 2 at a local store.
What other streaming radio programs are available that don't stop every twenty minutes
if you don't do something within the browser? That is one reason I don't use AOL Radio
when I just want to hear music in the room with the computer. Smallwheels.
I use AOL radio, never had a problem, only quits when I loose my internet connection.
If I work all night I listen all night. Doesn't require any attention from me. Its also free.
At least it was when I downloaded it a year or so ago. Its upgraded itself several times.
Still free.............so far. It just plays an occasional commercial for itself. I can live with
that. I have it on my PPC and my Intel Mac.

I'm baffled it stops every 20 minutes. It doesn't stop for me and I leave the
Mac untouched for hours. I just listen.

Oh wait, I see. Try downloading AOL's standalone App. Its Tiger and Leopard
compatible. Not sure about Snow Leopard. HERES the newest version from AOL.
My PPC and Intel are version 2.0.1b1.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Pandora will shut down if the mouse doesn't move within a few songs. I want something that plays all the time without me needing to be at the computer.

Is it shutting down because your computer is going to sleep ?

If so check out Caffeine - http://www.lightheadsw.com/ Its a menubar app that stops you Mac sleeping which you can quickly enable / disable.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Smallwheels wrote:
Pandora will shut down if the mouse doesn't move within a few songs. I want something that plays all the time without me needing to be at the computer.

If so check out Caffeine - http://www.lightheadsw.com/ Its a menubar app that stops you Mac sleeping which you can quickly enable / disable.

The radio stations have a little message that asks if I'm still there because they don't want to play their radio for an empty room.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Cypher wrote:
Smallwheels wrote:

The radio stations have a little message that asks if I'm still there because they don't want to play their radio for an empty room.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate

Yeah, I get the same thing using the stand alone app from the market, it's actually very annoying when you click on anything and it opens up my browser and starts playing content through it at the same time as the app. Funny, I have no problems at all with the Android version on my Nook Color tablet or my iPhone 4. I think I will try the AOL version.
iPhone 4S 16GB
Zuma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuneIn Radio Pro is the best dollar you'll ever spend for the iPad. iHeartRadio isn't bad either on the free side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: