123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS Office 2011 for Mac - how many flavors are there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: MS Office 2011 for Mac - how many flavors are there? Reply with quote

I am currently using MS Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition.

I am toying with the idea of installing the new 2011 version as I can get it at a very deep discount.

I am a bit confused as to exactly how many "flavors" of this software are available. As you know the Windows version comes in about 5 different levels.

As far as I can tell, there are three for the Mac:

Home & Student
Home & Business (adds Outlook & no additional features)
Academic (rebranded home & business sold to students/teachers)

What I want to know is other than Outlook, is there anything else missing from the Home and Student version that's found in the Home & Business version? If all that's missing is Outlook I'll buy the student version.

Anyone?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference is Outlook and the technical support.

Home & Student comes with 90 days phone support.
Home & Business comes with Outlook & 1 year phone support.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info!
daceymathers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: MS Office 2011 for Mac - how many flavors are there? Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
I am currently using MS Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition.

I am toying with the idea of installing the new 2011 version as I can get it at a very deep discount.

I am a bit confused as to exactly how many "flavors" of this software are available. As you know the Windows version comes in about 5 different levels.

As far as I can tell, there are three for the Mac:

Home & Student
Home & Business (adds Outlook & no additional features)
Academic (rebranded home & business sold to students/teachers)

What I want to know is other than Outlook, is there anything else missing from the Home and Student version that's found in the Home & Business version? If all that's missing is Outlook I'll buy the student version.

Anyone?

Here are some difference between student and business version:
HOME & STUDENT:
• Word | Excel | PowerPoint | 90 Days Tech Support
• Three installs
HOME & BUSINESS:
• Word | Excel | PowerPoint | Outlook | One Year Tech Support
• Two installs

The business edition includes everything that the student one does, plus the following:

- Outlook (email and calendar application)
- 1 year of tech support (vs. 90 days for student edition)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: MS Office 2011 for Mac - how many flavors are there? Reply with quote

daceymathers wrote:
HOME & STUDENT:
• Three installs
HOME & BUSINESS:
• Two installs

You better look into this a little bit further. I know for a fact that there are two retail boxes for Home & Student. A 1 user license and a 3 user license (abut a $40 price difference). I also know the same is true for Home & Business (a 1 and a 2 license box) (about a $100 price difference).

One thing I am uncertain of, is if a 1 user license can be installed on 1 Desktop and 1 notebook.
daceymathers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: MS Office 2011 for Mac - how many flavors are there? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
daceymathers wrote:
HOME & STUDENT:
• Three installs
HOME & BUSINESS:
• Two installs

You better look into this a little bit further. I know for a fact that there are two retail boxes for Home & Student. A 1 user license and a 3 user license (abut a $40 price difference). I also know the same is true for Home & Business (a 1 and a 2 license box) (about a $100 price difference).

One thing I am uncertain of, is if a 1 user license can be installed on 1 Desktop and 1 notebook.

I think you must read the license terms and conditions:

"1. OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of one copy of the software on one device, along with other rights, all as described below.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device. That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device.
b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
c. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on different devices."
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Office%20for%20Mac_2011_English_9b97495f-e3b7-464c-bd3c-4959f0104e7e.pdf

Above is the licensing agreement for Office 2011 for Mac. It covers Home & Student as well as Home & Business.

To save you a little bit of reading here are the key points.
From Page 5 and Page 12.

1. One copy per device
3. For software marked "Office for Home and Business 2011 2 pack" you may install one copy of the software on the licensed device and one additional copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device,

I currently work in sales for an Apple reseller. We stock 2 versions of Office Home and business 2011. The single user license and the "2 pack" mentioned above. There is about a $60 price difference.

For Home and Student we carry the single user license and the family pack (which is a 3 user license). Again, there is about a $60 price difference.

daceymathers, I think the licensing agreement you are referring to is dated or it's for Windows. I'm not sure. Can you provide a link to your reference. I'm curious to know where you sourced this info. Being I sell the product daily, I'm interested in learning. The info you provided is what I "thought" was the case, but it clearly is written differently in the licensing agreement I linked to above. I want to make certain I don't misrepresent anything to my customers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: