123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x2gb Ram single beep upgrade problem in late 2009 Mac Mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: 2x2gb Ram single beep upgrade problem in late 2009 Mac Mini Reply with quote

I have scoured the net looking for a solution to this and the other topic in this forum does not seem to resolve the problem.

I purchased 2x2gb of Samsung PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 ram from another Mac user who upgraded this stock ram from his machine.

I have a Mac Mini late 2009 2.26ghz that came with 2gb of ram.
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Boot ROM Version: MM31.00AD.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.35f1

Many other users seem to have had the problem with installing (2x2gb) 4gb of ram in their machines where 1gb will work in the bottom slot and 2gb will work in the top slot but 2gb will NOT work in the bottom slot and the machine gives a single *beep* every few seconds.

Both sticks work and I am currently running on 3gb with 1gb in the bottom and 2gb in the top.

I have tried resetting the SMC by taking out the battery and holding down the power button for 5 seconds with the power unplugged and then putting the battery back and plugging it back in.

I have tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM by pressing Command, Option, P, and R. It works with the stock ram but does not allow me to switch to 2gb afterward. With the new 2gb in the bottom slot but I never get past the initial single beeps with the 2gb in to have it "work".

I built my first x286 at 13 years old and I am now 35. I have built at least 10 PCs in my time and upgraded the ram on 2 of my PC laptops so I am certain that in the 25 times I have tried to re-seat the 2gb or ram in the bottom slot that I have done it correctly. Both sticks have been tested and they work in the top slot.

Has anyone found a solution not listed to this problem?

Thanks for any help Smile
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you update your EFI firmware to 1.2? Your machine can handle up to 8GB of RAM if updated.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL888

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3

EDIT: sorry, the EFI update mentioned above looks to only pertain to the early 2009 2.26 such as mine...but yours should still support 4 - 8 GB.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Bob Jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I knew I should have added that I tried the EFI firmware to 1.2 and a message came up saying I did not need this update.

I got a ridiculous deal on the 2x2gb sticks that I could not pass up.

Neither 2gb will not work in the bottom slot but they both work when a 1gb stick is in the bottom slot. I used this method to verify that they both work.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall reading something about this, but sadly don't remember exactly what it was and can't find anything online.

A thread on the Apple support 'might' have some use for you:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2571098&tstart=0

Stick around, i bet somebody here will chime in.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Bob Jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some users say that resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) or the PRAM/NVRAM gets it to work for them. I must have tried resetting them each 5 times and I can't get that resolve the problem... Sad
lbsoulliere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Same problem here.. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini 2.26.

Just buy a 4G Kit from Kingston 2x2GB.

The computer won't boot. Give me beeps.

Same thing about the slot. work on a slot and not in the other.
2gb + 1gb work.

I contacted Kingston and they shipped me another kit with different chip on it. Received it today and no luck, same beeps.

tried the CMD+OPT+P+R with no luck.

Kingston escalate to engineer (lvl 3) maybe I will have some news tomorrow.

I know there is an EFI update. I tried installing it but gave me an error : this system does not need this update.. or something like that. I suppose that my EFI is up to date.

Out of idea, I'm about to find a blender that is big enough... Smile)

any luck on your side??
Bob Jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is GREAT that you have Kingston involved!

I bought Samsung ram from another mac user so I am SOL if I can't get this to work but you are entitled to support by Kingston.

Please let me know what they say!

I will mindlessly try to switch all the ram around and try to reset it for the 50th time tomorrow and see if the magic happens...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer this question really quick!!!!!

Simple Really

The ram you purchased happens to be ibm ram your in trouble unless it is actual apple ram you will receive a beep code the reason for this is simple macintosh memory runs at a lower speed then Ibm memory this is why you get the constant on with the fans and they wont shut off and why you receive a beep code because the IBM memory is trying to set your memory controller for way to high of a speed of which the macintosh cannot handle where if you use real apple memory this doesn't happen.
Bob Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FIXED IT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT

Ok here goes...

I am a PC user and to reset a PC desktop or laptop (in my experience) I have been told to hold down the power button with the battery and power disconnected for 30 seconds.

This is different on the Mac Mini and I was missing the step where you need to PLUG THE POWER CABLE IN while holding down the power button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2183

I did that with 2gb in the bottom slot and it fired up Smile

Then just to make things more interesting the fan decided to run at full speed... I stuck in the second 2gb stick and it worked but the fan was still running at full speed! Booted normally tho.

I took it all apart and put it back together and reset the PMU again and it returned to normal but when it fired up on that occasion I got some progress bar on the apple logo and I was terrified I corrupted the OS somehow but everything is normal.

Showing 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Ohh and also... macmanmacman

It is shocking to me that you would post such misinformation on this forum and be a veteran member with 993 posts. Thanks for nothing Smile
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working.

Not sure where macmanmacman has heard of "real apple memory" as there is no such thing. There may be incompatibilities or perhaps better producers, but RAM is RAM within the specs.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Minmusic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add something to this solution.

I had the exact same situation as Bob. The same mini 3.1 , same samsung PC3 8500S RAM that I got used from someone who upgraded their Mac, the RAM 2GB would only work in the top slot, the beeps if it was placed in the bottom slot.

I had been trying so many things with the RAM that I got tired of putting the cover on and then taking it off. So I just left it off the speed up the process while I tested different things. When I put the old RAM in with the cover off it booted up and worked fine.

When I found this post I was thrilled this was my problem exactly. But when I tried the 'hold in the power button while inserting the power cord' solution, I still got the beeps. AAAARRRG! I tried a bunch of times, different ways with the same beeps. Then I thought maybe the cover might need to be on. So I put both 2GB chips in the mini, reassembled with the cover this time. I held in the power button, inserted the power cord, then released the button. I waited a second and pushed the power button.

Mac "Chime" is music to my ears. It worked!!! 4GB of RAM showing up.

So the cover must be on for the PMU reset to work.
hdixon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: no luck on 2x2GB upgrade Reply with quote

macmini 4,1
Ordered a 4GB (2x2GB) ram upgrade from OWC. Installed, no boot just a beep. Have reseated many times. Have tried NVRAM reset a few times. No luck. Have tried the SMC reset, no luck. Each 2GB stick works fine ALONE in the top slot, but with both in there no boot just beeps.

Guess a RMA is in order.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
Glad you got it working.

Not sure where macmanmacman has heard of "real apple memory" as there is no such thing. There may be incompatibilities or perhaps better producers, but RAM is RAM within the specs.

Exactly. Only a real knucklehead would have said something like that.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: no luck on 2x2GB upgrade Reply with quote

hdixon wrote:
macmini 4,1
Ordered a 4GB (2x2GB) ram upgrade from OWC. Installed, no boot just a beep. Have reseated many times. Have tried NVRAM reset a few times. No luck. Have tried the SMC reset, no luck. Each 2GB stick works fine ALONE in the top slot, but with both in there no boot just beeps.

Guess a RMA is in order.

for 2010 mac minis samsung is good.

the ram below has been pretty good they even give you a free movie download plus it is 8gb not 4gb

http://www.jr.com/pny/pe/PNY_MN8192KD310/

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey not cool man...

If you look in older mac forums and have been around computers your whole life like i have you would understand mac lingo better people refer to real apple memory as memory purchased from apple stores or from apple online not from other world computing and third party's and did you notice after the memory upgrade his fans where still running at full speed because of the clock difference in the memory hello what have i been saying (quote: watch the clock speed of the ram when purchasing third party ram because certain third party ram causes the over clocking of the fan. end quote)

This happens because the clock speed of the ram is different then the stock ram several ram manufactures do this to speed up laptops where memory is greatly needed.

Apple however doesn't do this to keep the temps down in the mac mini without causing over heating he should on his mac mini notice higher temps when using that memory all though it will work you might have to do the power up trick more then once to get it started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: