123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best accessories for mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I want to spend the time putting my own together. Do you like the Fantom drive? It is 50 bucks less than the Lacie quadra. I am a mac virgin. How do you set it up to boot from an external HD?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fantom drives have been good. to make the external your bootdrive.

you first plug the new drive into the fw800 connection.

call up your disk utility program.

make sure that it sees the new drive.

then format the drive for mac. it is easy to do takes a minute. give the fantom a name like osx boot drive. then go to superduper website

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

download the superduper program to the mac mini's internal hdd. it is easy takes a minute.

now call up superduper and clone the internal hdd to the fantom. not a lot of instructions but the cloning will take time. now that the clone is done.

you have a perfect copy on the fantom. it will boot you need to go to your dock and look for the systems preferences box it is a square with gears. click and it will open giving a lot of choices click on startup disk. it should give you the fantom drive name and macintosh hdd as startup disks pick the fantom click restart and it should boot with the big fantom hdd. This forum website is not so easy to post photos . when you get the fantom I can send a few screen shots via email to show exactly how to do it. phil

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Sounds pretty simple, like all things mac. Still have not set it up. Spent another frustrating hour last night trying to get my Windows Laptop to play nice with my HP printer. Always have problems with HP printers and windows. Got the Epson printer with rebate when I ordered the mini.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I am thinking of this hard drive for everyday and booting and bootcamping a Windows XP operating system. Like the black monolith matches the TV.

LaCie Hard Disk Quadra 2 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301882U

And a 500g Lacie d2 I got as refurbed for 50 bucks as a time machine drive. Aluminum matches the Mini.

Sound good?
T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Lacie Quadra for my soon to come Mac Mini 2011... Love the drive. Small, fast, silent, nice design.. Smile
graceangela9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best accessories for mini Reply with quote

kerbouchard wrote:
First post. Been lurking for a while though! Want opinions on the best external HD for a 2010 mini. Stackability and visual appeal are important. Also want to know best Hub for my mini. Getting lots of conflicting ratings and reviews on both. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

If you are looking for best external HD for mac mini then i think Iomega and Lacie will surely meet you expectation.
kerbouchard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok final set up. (always subject to addition)

LaCie Hard Disk Quadra 2 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301882U.
250 gigs for windows XP running parallels (next project) Got parallels at ultimate electronics closing sale for 12.99.
1.75t boot disc for mac OSx

500g Lacie d2 I got as refurbed for 50 bucks as a time machine drive. Aluminum matches the Mini

Lacie d2 external dvd burner x22

I got an old style mini hard drive enclosure and a 1t hitachi hard drive to use as an xFat usb drive to stack under the airport extreme. So I can access remotely with my windows laptop. (Which I will probably replace with a Macbook Pro next year.)

Upgraded mini with 8g of crucial RAM.

Griffin Tech aluminum isimplify ipod dock/usb hub. (still looking for a 4 port USB hub I like).

TAH-DAH!!
daceymathers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new miniStack v2.5, a combination hard drive and USB/FireWire hub that starts at US$105 (80GB) and goes up to US$230 (1TB).
The miniStack combines powered FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 hubs and external hard drive in one convenient package. It comes with the Oxford 934 bridge chipset, and a 7200RPM Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives up to 1.0TB with up to 32MB of disk cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: