123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any wet shavers (DE, straight razor) out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Any wet shavers (DE, straight razor) out there? Reply with quote

I became one of the assimilated last month.

Today I scored a 1940's Gillette Super Speed (twist to open) to go with my 1950's Gillette Tech "ball end" 3-piece razor. Seller tossed in a complimentary tin of Saint Charles Shave LLC "Dagger" shaving soap.

Not shown is about a dozen different aftershaves and colognes most of them inexpensive and pedestrian but good old-school stuff: Aqua Velva, Florida Water, No. 4711, Barbasol, Osage Rub, Lustray Spice, Pinaud Clubman, etc. as well as soap/creams by Van Der Hagen, Kiss My Face, and C.O. Bigelow & Co. (Proraso).

Shaving with a disposable and canned goo was never this fun...or sexy according to She Who Must Be Obeyed Very Happy
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that silver colored razor for years.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've since added a second Gillette Tech as well as a GEM Heavy Flat Top (G-bar) single edge blade.

One "old school" product I have not cared for, however, are the current production Old Spice aftershaves from Proctor & Gamble. They fooled with the formulation in order to attract a younger demographic. The currently product is sickeningly sweet and powdery.

As an alternative I purchase a knockoff version sold at Family Dollar stores for $1.60 (Ivy Club). While the scent is not as long-lasting, it is very, very close to the original version made by Shulton. It comes in a cheesy-looking "tartar sauce" bottle. Wonderful stuff.

Shulton still makes Old Spice in its original formulation; it's manufactured in India. Some Indian grocers sell it or you can buy it online. Someday I'll score some.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I liked the old style shaving brush and shaving creme, that double-edge straight razor brings back bad memories of cutting myself.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
While I liked the old style shaving brush and shaving creme, that double-edge straight razor brings back bad memories of cutting myself.

Double edge SAFETY razor.

It's possible to cut yourself with any razor. I'm getting fewer nicks, cuts and weepers from a safety razor than I ever did with carts or especially disposables. Fewer ingrown hairs, too since the whiskers are not cut off below skin level.

But the one magic ingredient has been the use of WITCH HAZEL as a post-shave rinse. It really heals and soothes your face. I had no idea that this inexpensive product was this beneficial.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 60's there was a shave cream that heated itself in your palm. I am assuming by some chemical reaction. I used it and, it most likely could have been used as a blistering agent in warfare. I don't remember the name of it but, man it was ghastly! Any of you guys remember that?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
Back in the 60's there was a shave cream that heated itself in your palm. I am assuming by some chemical reaction. I used it and, it most likely could have been used as a blistering agent in warfare. I don't remember the name of it but, man it was ghastly! Any of you guys remember that?

Yes, the one i am thinking of came in a red can.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. It was red!
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boar brush perfection. This is my now full-conditioned Omega 10051 boar brush ($10)

The tips have now fully split. Nice and soft. Perfecto!

Razz
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a wet shaver for ever. Electrics don't do a good job on my square face. I don't use a brush though. My gear consists of the MACH3 Turbo Razor and Gillette Series Sensitive Skin Gel. Then I splash some cheap cologne on my face and burn it closed. It hurts for a while, but it keeps the wife happy. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: