123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils iPad 2 Reply with quote

Apple Unveils iPad 2
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced iPad 2, the next generation of its popular device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading ebooks and much more. According to the company, iPad 2 features an entirely new design that is 33 percent thinner and up to 15 percent lighter than the original iPad, while maintaining the same 9.7-inch LED-backlit LCD screen. It also features Apple's new dual-core A5 processor for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics and now includes two cameras, a front-facing VGA camera for FaceTime and Photo Booth, and a rear-facing camera that captures 720p HD video, bringing the innovative FaceTime feature to iPad users for the first time. Though it is thinner, lighter, faster and packed with new features, iPad 2 still delivers up to 10 hours of battery life that users have come to expect. iPad 2 is available in black or white, features models that run on AT&T's and Verizon's 3G networks, and introduces the innovative iPad 2 Smart Cover in a range of vibrant polyurethane and rich leather colors.

"With more than 15 million iPads sold, iPad has defined an entirely new category of mobile devices," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "While others have been scrambling to copy the first generation iPad, we're launching iPad 2, which moves the bar far ahead of the competition and will likely cause them to go back to the drawing boards yet again."

With the new front and rear cameras, iPad 2 users can now make FaceTime calls to millions of iPhone 4, iPod touch and Mac users so they can see family and friends anywhere there is Wi-Fi. Photo Booth lets you apply fun visual effects, including eight photo special effects like Squeeze, Twirl and Kaleidoscope, to photos captured by either camera. iPad 2 comes with iOS 4.3, the latest version of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, with new features including faster Safari mobile browsing performance; iTunes Home Sharing; enhancements to AirPlay; the choice to use the iPad side switch to either lock the screen rotation or mute audio; and Personal Hotspot to share an iPhone 4 cellular data connection over Wi-Fi. Additional iPad 2 features include a built-in gyro for advanced gaming; HSUPA support for enhanced 3G upload speeds on iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G on AT&T, and HDMI Video Mirroring that lets users mirror their iPad screen on an HDTV using an optional adaptor.

The new iPad 2 Smart Cover provides protection for the iPad screen while maintaining its thin and lightweight profile. Designed with a unique self-aligning magnetic hinge that makes it easy to attach and remove, the new iPad 2 Smart Cover automatically wakes iPad 2 when it's opened and puts it to sleep when it’s closed, and has a soft microfiber lining to help keep the screen clean. The Smart Cover also folds into a stand for typing or viewing videos and is available in vibrant polyurethane for $39 or rich leather for $69 in a range of colors, including a (PRODUCT) RED one which helps support the Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Apple also introduced two new apps: iMovie and GarageBand for iPad, both available on the App Store for just $4.99 each. With iMovie, iPad 2 users can shoot and edit videos right on their iPad and post their movies to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo and their MobileMe gallery; watch them on their iPod, iPhone or iPad; as well as view them on their HDTV using AirPlay and Apple TV. GarageBand turns your iPad into a collection of touch instruments and 8-track recording studio, allowing you to perform with onscreen keyboards, guitars, drums and basses using multi-touch gestures–even if you don’t play a musical instrument.

iPad 2 runs almost all of the over 350,000 apps available on the App Store and there are more than 65,000 native iPad apps available from an incredible range of apps in 20 categories, including games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel. The iTunes Store gives iPad users access to the world’s most popular online music, TV and movie store with a catalog of over 14 million songs, over 50,000 TV episodes and over 10,000 films including over 3,500 in stunning high definition video. The iBooks app for iPad includes Apple’s iBookstore, the best way to browse, buy and read books on a mobile device.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available on March 11 for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model, $699 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G compatible with the Verizon network will be available in the US only for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad 2 will be sold in the US through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. The iMovie and GarageBand for iPad apps will be available on March 11 for $4.99 each from the App Store.

iPad 2 will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on March 25; and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1591.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new hardware is definitely hot and sexy. I can't believe that it's thinner than the iPhone. The A5 sounds like a pretty awesome processor too. I would be a buyer if I had some free cash.
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, but an SD slot would have thrown it over the edge in my book. Nevertheless, I will more than likely be a buyer of this generation.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good but nothing that makes me want to upgrade my existing iPad to the new one. I think I'll wait for iPad 3 (or 4) LOL

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Sounds good, but an SD slot would have thrown it over the edge in my book. Nevertheless, I will more than likely be a buyer of this generation.

Yeah, SD slot would have done it for me too. I guess Steve figured you could then expand your own memory rather than buying a new larger memory iPad2 and that might put Apple in the poor house. Very Happy
iPhone 4S 16GB
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m kind of digging that white one, but black makes videos pop. Tough call but that white is slick when not on, and reminds me of the older apple designs. What drew me to them in the first place before I realized how great the software was.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I"m kind of digging that white one, but black makes videos pop. Tough call but that white is slick when not on, and reminds me of the older apple designs. What drew me to them in the first place before I realized how great the software was.

It reminds me of the old stuff too. I think you will get better color contrast up against the black bezel though.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

It reminds me of the old stuff too. I think you will get better color contrast up against the black bezel though.

Also less distracting from the image. It just seems like a larger screen all black. Still loving the white though if I had it next to my mac I wouldn't hesitate to get the white it would match perfectly, but I don't do that it's far from my mac. So it's useful in a pinch.
caulktel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed the mass exodus from the 1st gen iPad? On craigslist in my area tonight there are a about a dozen of them for sale between the electronics section and the computer section, the trouble is, most of them are asking, (you noticed I said asking and not getting) as much as Apple is selling them for new discounted. I wouldn't mind picking up a used one, but people are going to have to make it worth your while or else I will just get a iPad2 and so will most everybody else. Just an observation and I'm glad I wasn't one of the first buyers. Very Happy
iPhone 4S 16GB
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
most of them are asking, (you noticed I said asking and not getting) as much as Apple is selling them for new discounted.

I don't know how people do it. If I ever sell anything, I sell it at a very good price. I feel better about giving someone a good deal, than getting a premium price.

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people are dumping their gen1 iPads right now. Quite a few people started selling theirs a few weeks ago in anticipation of the iPad2.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't plug it here out of respect, but I'm trying to sell my 1st-gen iPad on eBay and Craigslist. I don't necessarily think the new iPad is blockbusters better, but I am impressed with the new form-factor and specs. The new magnetic covers look awesome too. I just think now is a good time to get out. Plus, I think there could be more and more apps coming out that require the new hardware. Take iMovie for example.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I just think now is a good time to get out. Plus, I think there could be more and more apps coming out that require the new hardware. Take iMovie for example.

I agree... now would be the best time to sell your iPad. The sooner, the better.
You don't need to give it away. As long as you are slightly under the price of a refurb iPad. Both you and the buyer should be happy.

Good luck, if you decide to sell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: