123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion Reply with quote

Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Posted by: Kenan

Apple today released a developer preview of Mac OS X Lion, which, according to the company, takes some of the best ideas from iPad and brings them back to the Mac for the eighth major release of the operating system. Lion features Mission Control, an innovative new view of everything running on your Mac; Launchpad, a new home for all your Mac apps; full screen apps that use the entire Mac display; and new Multi-Touch gestures. Lion also includes the Mac App Store, a place to discover, install and automatically update Mac apps.

"The iPad has inspired a new generation of innovative features in Lion," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Developers are going to love Mission Control and Launchpad, and can now start adding great new Lion features like full screen, gestures, Versions and Auto Save to their own apps."

Additional features in Lion include:

- A new version of Mail, with an elegant, widescreen layout inspired by the iPad; Conversations, which automatically groups related messages into one easy to read timeline; more powerful search; and support for Microsoft Exchange 2010.
- AirDrop, a remarkably simple way to copy files wirelessly from one Mac to another with no setup.
- Versions, which automatically saves successive versions of your document as you create it, and gives you an easy way to browse, edit and even revert to previous versions.
- Resume, which conveniently brings your apps back exactly how you left them when you restart your Mac or quit and relaunch an app.
- Auto Save, which automatically saves your documents as you work.
- The all new FileVault, that provides high performance full disk encryption for local and external drives, and the ability to wipe data from your Mac instantaneously.
- Mac OS X Lion Server, which makes setting up a server easier than ever and adds support for managing Mac OS X Lion, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.

The Lion preview is available to Mac Developer Program members through the Mac App Store today, and the final version of Lion will ship to customers this summer.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/images/newsstory1588.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion Reply with quote

admin wrote:
- Mac OS X Lion Server, which makes setting up a server easier than ever and adds support for managing Mac OS X Lion, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices.

OS X Server is also a part of Lion now! Very Happy

I think that alone makes this an update worth buying. The price is going to be $29, right? Laughing
Colstan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion Reply with quote

A commercial UNIX server for the masses. That's going to open up a lot of possibilities and will put pressure on Windows Home Server and allows businesses to try out Lion Server without having to purchase dedicated hardware or a separate license.

Microsoft is really going to look bad with all their different versions. Apple gives you everything in one single version. No Home, Pro, Enterprise, Server, 32-bit, 64-bit, etc. Just one copy of Mac OS X Lion does everything.

Colstan
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion Reply with quote

Colstan wrote:
Microsoft is really going to look bad with all their different versions. Apple gives you everything in one single version. No Home, Pro, Enterprise, Server, 32-bit, 64-bit, etc. Just one copy of Mac OS X Lion does everything.

I don't think Microsoft ever really recovered from Vista. Something like this just makes them even look more dinosaury. You're right though. One copy is a great idea. As long as you can buy it in a box at retail too. I don't want it only going through the Mac app store.

I think the new Mail app looks awesome too. Its one of the standouts on the iPad as far as I'm concerned.
NRecob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion Reply with quote

scooper wrote:

I don't think Microsoft ever really recovered from Vista.

I was a hardcore PC guy from way back (MS-DOS, Windows 2.0 etc). I waited six (6) years for Vista (!) and immediately switched to Macs and haven't looked back Mr. Green
caulktel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder if Lion will run on older Intel Mac Mini's or is too bloated for them. I didn't see any requirements specifications but maybe I missed them.
iPhone 4S 16GB
saul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs say Core 2 Duo on MacRumors.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I somehow feel rather underwhelmed by Lion? - or rather, I actually feel rather concerned at making OSX "more iPad-like". I don't think I want "the best ideas from iPad" on my Mac desktop, and I certainly don't want Launchpad for "all my apps" or even gestures...

These things are fine for small-screen, finger-operated, portable devices, but NOT for my large-screen, mouse+keyboard-driven, desk-bound Mac.

Maybe I'm getting old.
Colstan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Why do I somehow feel rather underwhelmed by Lion? - or rather, I actually feel rather concerned at making OSX "more iPad-like". I don't think I want "the best ideas from iPad" on my Mac desktop, and I certainly don't want Launchpad for "all my apps" or even gestures...

Lion does contain improvements over what we have in Snow Leopard, including enhancements to Finder, Spotlight, FileVault, Quick Look, Preview, Safari and many other apps that current Mac users enjoy. It also includes many under-the-hood enhancements to performance, stability and security. Safari's internals are getting a major overhaul with WebKit2.

That being said, the most visible changes are not being made for current Mac users. Most of us here at 123Macmini are not Apple's target with these features. We are advanced establishment users. This site focuses on a desktop system. The Mac's fastest growing market is for portables, so gestures are getting a lot of attention, and much of Lion is squarely aimed at the iDevice user who has never used a Mac.

I am personally in a very small minority, in that I do not own or plan to own an iDevice, nor do I want a notebook computer. I use a standard mouse for input that does not support gestures. I'll be getting Lion for the additional enhancements to current applications and the user interface, along with the more advanced internals.

So, I understand why Apple is headed the way they are with Lion. I don't like it, but I understand it. The only thing I will outright decry is the elimination of traditional Expose/Spaces for Mission Control. Mission Control is considerably more cumbersome than Expose/Spaces. It's going to be very frustrating for me if Apple doesn't allow Expose/Spaces to function the way it does in Snow Leopard. However, as a whole, I really see Lion as a tweak to an already mature operating system, with some features that are made to appeal to non-Mac users.

Colstan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: