123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Drive upgrading - Is SSD the best option?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Hard Drive upgrading - Is SSD the best option? Reply with quote

Hi there!

I own a Mac Late 2009 running under Snow Leopard. I increased its RAM to 8GB as I intended to dedicate it to music playing.

Hauptwerkis a virtual pipe organ software, which basically converts Midi input - coming from keyboards and pedalboard - to music, by playing the relevant audio file, as each key / stop is associated to a recording sampled on a real pipe organ.

In order to play without latency, all audio files are loaded in RAM whenever a pipe organ sample set is selected. It explains why 8 GB was requested, and even it appears to be sometimes too limited! Embarassed

The point is now I do have several large sample sets. Whenever I need to switch between them, I have to wait till all the relevant audio files are loaded. It takes in average 2 to 3 minutes as the original 320 GB / 5,400 RPM is far from being the best when in intensive reading mode. This is why I would change it to a faster HD.

I have been considering a SSD upgrade accordingly. Actually I'm eyeing more specifically Intel's 3rd Gen. product that should hit the market within the next days/weeks. In the same time, reading a lot on different forums, it looks SSD MTBF is not very satisfactory yet, and the loss of performance over time is somewhat worrying.

Hence my questions - considering the hard drive is mainly to be used in reading mode, would a SSD be much better performing than a good traditional HD - let's say a WD Scorpio Black? If going to a SSD, will its performance be affected over time given its main use?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Cool
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay this program has large files on it. Does it read or does it do a boat load of little writes each time it reads. If it is doing little writes each time do not get a ssd.

I would push a western digital scorpio black 500gb or even 750gb. My reasons are;

1) 5 year warranty with very good service.
2) The drives don't break.
3) If you buy a 500gb it is about 75 USD
4) If you buy a 750GB it is about 120 USD

If you go the intel 3rd gen route without trying the WD scorpio route you will never know if the lower cost method would have worked. As of today an easy restore of ssds in mac osx does not exist.

If you think about this it really is borderline criminal theft on the part of APPLE and all SSD makers. How about someone selling a simple restore unit. Just drop in any ssd push a button and 10 minutes later the ssd is restored. Intel could sell this they don't any ssd maker could sell it they don't. Apple could sell one they don't. Windows and I don't like windows as least can argue they have trim.

Back to you and ending my rant. I simply don't enough about your program to know if it does mini writes that will age your ssd. I have used a lot of ssds in many minis in your case I would not be inclined to do so.

one more thing how about your mini with 8gb ram and a good big ssd does not get the job done. reason you need a better cpu then any mini has. now you have spent 300 to 500 USD on a ssd and it is not enough fire power. For all you know you may need a macbook pro with an i7 cpu and a ssd and 8gb ram. Can you borrow a friends machine with a much better cpu? Just to see how much you really need to run the program correctly.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Pat17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the speedy answer!

Each sample set - or organ if you prefer - only writes once - when they are installed. It takes ages - can be more than hour - but it's once for all, unless a problem occurs and it has to be reinstalled. This is why I stated it need reading only - which is the case when playing on a normal sessions.

Thanks for detailing your reasons for selecting the Scorpio Black - not sure I can find it on the local market. In terms of reading performances, will it be comparable to SSD?

Thanks again! Cool
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scorpio black will read at speeds over 105MB/s the drive you have now reads at 50 to 65 MB/s. It is much faster then what you have.

one ( route = path ) is buy an intel ssd for 300 to 500 usd

one (route = path) is buy a wd scorpio black for 75 to 120 usd

If you go to the high price path or route first and it works.

You will not bother testing the low cost path or route. you will not know if the scorpio black would work and you may have saved 200 to 300 usd

The third generation intel will read at 250MB/s it will be very fast.

The limit it will have in your mini will be the sata jack it plugs into.

Mac mini's don't read over 250MB/s to 265MB/s.

I know the intel will be quicker for your program.

I don't know if the mini's cpu will be good enough.

I know the WD scorpio black will improve you quite a bit over what you have in your mini now.

I go with the idea of saving money if you can.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Pat17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About processors - actually Hauptwerk doesn't necessary require a lot of horsepower.

The more you get, the better indeed. Especially as the microprocessor has an influence on the polyphony capability - or the number of audio files it can play simultaneously.

Actually this is not essential to me, as my playing doesn't require much - I'm more into simple pieces with a rather quiet tempo.

Thanks again! Cool

I'm going to give a though to it - and even more, try to locate if the WD Scorpio Black is available on the local market - which shall not be the case of SSDs...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: