123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What upgrade would suit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colstan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
this is why I push intel not because it is the fastest one. or the lowest cost. it is the one that works most reliably in mac minis.

I think the big issue is that many of these companies are using controllers from suppliers that have just sprouted up: Indilinx, SandForce, JMicron. I would point out that Apple doesn't use these controllers in the Mac. They've been criticized for having slow SSDs, but they use established brands such as Samsung and Toshiba. They may not win on performance or price, but reliability is what's most important.

I got burned by an OCZ Indilinx based SSD that suddenly bricked. I decided to stick with mechanical drives, for the time being. I'm hoping that Apple will provide an SSD option in a future Mac mini, so that we can get official support, rather than having to validate my own hardware! I bet we won't see an SSD in a mini until "Ivy Bridge" is released in 2012, if ever. Heck, Apple hasn't even made 7200RPM hard drives an option with the base Mac mini.

Colstan
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

along those lines the 512gb toshiba ssd that comes with the mac pro can be had for 900 bucks from a real seller on ebay

if I you have the money to spare it is the best combo of size speed and price for an internal mac mini you can buy.

toshiba link he will take around 900 for it maybe 880.

second seller he takes around 890 to 910

point is no one offers a 512gb ssd for that price

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
PhillT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
owc ssd's as some other ones like ocz and patriot inferno have had failures in minis. double boot drives windows and osx even 2 partition osx ssds have failures. I upgraded many minis and a lot of ssd's were used intel is 20 up and 20 good. no other ssd i used was failure proof. every one had a brick or two. this is why I push intel not because it is the fastest one. or the lowest cost. it is the one that works most reliably in mac minis.

I take you point and appreciate the advice. I will certainly look at the Intel for the 2nd Mini, although I have found a couple of instances on the net, of people with Intel ssd having the same sleep issue as me and lots of others. It is certainly not a brand issue. That said, if my M.E. ssd fails, I will probably try an Intel in my Mini.
I left it on last night set to NEVER SLEEP and it was fine this morning.
Fingers crossed Smile
PhillT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
along those lines the 512gb toshiba ssd that comes with the mac pro can be had for 900 bucks from a real seller on ebay

if I you have the money to spare it is the best combo of size speed and price for an internal mac mini you can buy.

I wish I had that sort of money to spend, but alas, I don't. With SSDs being so expensive per GB at the moment, I see no point in buying bigger than sufficient to install the OS and the biggest and necessary apps on. For our use, data and secondary apps are fine on an external HDD for now. One day the bigger capacity SSDs will be affordable enough to buy, but for me, not yet.
Compare 8GB Apple RAM upgrade on a Mini with the equivalent OWC RAM, then tell me Apple is not over priced on upgrade hardware. The OWC RAM is just as good in my experience. As much as I would like to town one, Apple SSD will probably be out of my price range for a long time to come Sad
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the apple ssd on ebay for about 900 bucks is the only apple upgrade that is not insanely over priced .. even if you put one in as an apple buy online right from apple it is about 1250. or 1080 if you get the mac pro with an education discount. I am not saying 1250 or 1080 is low cost. It is not. As much as I would like to buy a 512gb ssd I can't pay 1080 or 1250 to do so. I can't pay 900 to get one from a good ebay seller.

I am saying no one sells 512gb ssds at 900 to 1250 except apple/toshiba.

corsair wants 1998

kingston wants 1360

ocz wants 1800

PhillT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

.......I am saying no one sells 512gb ssds at 900 to 1250 except apple/toshiba. corsair wants 1998 kingston wants 1360 ocz wants 1800

You are of course correct, and I wonder why they are so competitive on that one product. Another way to look at it is that it works out to roughly $2 a GB, which is what the OWS 120GB cost me. The others must be making a killing on their drives. You get no argument from me that $2/GB is good value today, but who can justify that much for a large drive, when a small one will do nicely for the OS & select apps. If Apple release a smaller one at $2 a GB, I'll be first in line Very Happy
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Its a Damn Shame Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
I had an 80gb intel that a member on this board asked
to test and never returned to me.
I would be interested to know who accidentally forgot to return
your property. I bet everyone else would like (need) to know also.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
PhillT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I agree with Colstan; .......... GPU, as the GMA 950 on the 2007 mini's is not very powerful.
.......... I would recommend upgrading to the next generation model ........You can then upgrade the RAM and HD ........... the biggest bang for your buck is probably the Seagate hybrid XT. .......

If a new/reburb mini is out of your budget,......... Even a decent non-hybrid 7200 rpm drive will improve the performance of the 2007 model; my Seagate momentus 7200.3 made a huge difference on the same model.

UPDATE:-
Today I finally won an ebay auction, and an '09 2.26GHz Mini is on it's way.
It will be getting 8GB of OWC RAM, and a new HDD or Hybrid HDD.
There is conflicting information out there about if the SATA controller / interface in the Mini is actually SATA 1 or SATA 2. One such discussion is here:-
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9358337
Until I know for sure, I can't go HDD shopping, so can anyone here say for sure which it is?

Cheers,
PhillT
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2.26ghz 2009 mini will work with any sata II drive.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2009 mother board has 1 plugin it splits to the hdd and the dvd player. the hdd will run very fast here is one of many test scores I have done

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=436267

this is with an intel 1 gen ssd look at the read scores over 210MB/sec sequential and over 175MB/sec random

here is a link to a lot of intel mac mini scores

http://db.xbench.com/search.xhtml?text=zzzzz

the link includes some gear other the mac minis but there are scores on quite a few hdds in mac minis

PhillT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

this is with an intel 1 gen ssd look at the read scores over 210MB/sec sequential and over 175MB/sec random
here is a link to a lot of intel mac mini scores
http://db.xbench.com/search.xhtml?text=zzzzz

To a non expert, (me) that seems to indicate SATA 2 speeds, so I am shopping for SATA 2 drive.

Thanks again.
PhillT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: