123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there an app to allow me to assign speaker output source?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tundraSQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Is there an app to allow me to assign speaker output source? Reply with quote

I have my HTPC set up to accept the toslink output from my 2009 mac mini. This routs the sound thru my AVR to my home theater speakers

I also have a USB DAC to play my computer speakers.

Since i use this computer for both i would love to be able to assign boxee and plex to my toslink, and everything else to my USB codec.

I used to have this option way back in like 10.2.....but i don't find any way to do it now...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first what is your o.s version ??

there is a way to do it but you wont like it..

you would have to create two seperate user accounts one for your HTPC work and one for the regular use this is the only way to get the sound card in the macintosh and even external sound cards to function seperatly.

what I did..

i have two macintoshes here is how i did my setup.

I went online and purchased a used older Imac lampie model with these specs

Imac 800 mhz

768 meg's of ram

250 gig's of hard drive space

10.5 leopard using leopard assist for macs that dont meet the 867mhz processor requirement

and a external monitor adapter.

and external toslink sound card

connected to a audiovox extreme gamer surround sound system 7.1

i created a account on this machine and then setup the machine to connect to my xserve g5 to get sounds and movies and photo's

i then installed Rivet to share all my content from both machines to my xbox 360 and PS3

so i can access my content for every thing from one source.

this is basiclly what i did its a little crazy but it works and sounds nice and now i have tons of storage.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Snow Leopard, (possibly leopard) if you hold the option key (ALT) whilst clicking on the sound icon in the menu bar it will display an alternative menu that will allow you to select the output channel.

On Tiger I used to do the same using a free app from Rogue Amoeba called soundsource. I can't see it on their Web site now but I have it on disk if you need it.

Its not the automatic solution your looking for but it makes it easier to switch outputs

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: