123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Took the plunge, seeking advice on a couple things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ambroinaz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Took the plunge, seeking advice on a couple things Reply with quote

I have been a PC user and actually work in IT supporting Windows and Linux for a paycheck. Since I got my iPad and have been using iPods over the years I have become more and more an Apple fan and have decided to take the dive in the MAC OS (which at this time I know very little about except for playing with the cool dock on a friends iMAC).

So, since I was in the market for a new PC, and wanted something that could basically serve as a iTunes, web, email, Youtube video, synch my iPad, watch Netflix movies, in a cool small form factor type machine, I decided on the Mac mini.

I just bought the 2010 2.4ghz, 2GB, 320GB HD, stock machine and plan to use it with some pretty familiar PC peripherals and a 24in Samsung LCD. I also purchased the 8GB (2x4GB) memory upgrade from Crucial after reading a bunch of posts about how the extra ram really made a difference. It all will arrive next week.

Here are my questions:

1.) Can Mac OSX read PC FAT formatted USB hard disks for sharing files? Or does it need to be reformatted? It would be nice to move my iTunes library over and other files etc since I have also purchased office 2011 for mac.

2.) What is the real deal with the 8GB of ram? Some posts seem to state that once the Mac Mini reaches 4GB+ it will croak, but then another post or two said there was a firmware upgrade that allowed the mini to take advantage of the 8GB. Since the 8GB was only $102 bucks I just figured it was not a big deal to max it out.

Okay, thanks.

Ambroinaz
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

In answer to 1): Yes, OSX can read/write to FAT formatted external drives (but there's a 4GB filesize limitation). OSX can read-only from NTFS external drives, too.

If you just want to transfer lots of large files, why not just network the machines together? Gigabit networking on the mini's motherboard.

(While we're on the subject of networking, don't forget to investigate the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection - works very well.

Re 2): Not got a 2010 mini, so I'll let others answer about the RAM!
Colstan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Took the plunge, seeking advice on a couple things Reply with quote

ambroinaz wrote:
1.) Can Mac OSX read PC FAT formatted USB hard disks for sharing files? Or does it need to be reformatted? It would be nice to move my iTunes library over and other files etc since I have also purchased office 2011 for mac.

Mac OS X has native FAT32 support, has NTFS write support with MacFUSE/NTFS-3G, and OS X now supports exFAT as well. I recommend using FAT32 for simplicity. NTFS support requires the use of unsupported non-Apple software.

ambroinaz wrote:
2.) What is the real deal with the 8GB of ram? Some posts seem to state that once the Mac Mini reaches 4GB+ it will croak, but then another post or two said there was a firmware upgrade that allowed the mini to take advantage of the 8GB. Since the 8GB was only $102 bucks I just figured it was not a big deal to max it out.

The 2009 Mac mini has unofficial support for 8GB of main memory. Some people have apparently had issues running it. I haven't encountered any problems, personally. The 2010 Mac mini, which is what you now own, has official support for 8GB of memory. So, you do not need to worry about this issue. You're good to go and Crucial is some of the best available.

I hope you enjoy your new Mac mini! If you have any further questions, then the folks here are a great resource.

Colstan
ambroinaz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Both my questions answered and it was what I was hoping for so, hey, its good news. Thanks!

Smile
redcard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider if using Time Machine is that it can only back up Mac formatted drives - Not FAT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: