123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Skype App

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: New Skype App Reply with quote

I downloaded the new Skype app a few days ago for my 3GS. It's truly amazing - working over 3G or Wifi. I have 7 friends who use it also, all over the country. It's supposed to work on the current generation iPod Touch also, which has a camera, but no option for 'video chat' is shown - just "chat". Really? Does anyone know if this is the way it's intended? Are they bowing to a demand from Apple by not activating the camera? Something is rotten here!

Mac Mini C2D 4 Gigs, 500 Gig WD internal, Lacie 1TB external. iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, Newton 110. Two Mac Mini's - C2D 2 Gigs, 320 Gig WD internal.
hwojtek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video chat works only on iPhone 4 - it would be weird with a 3G or 3Gs anyway, since there is no user-facing camera in neither of those.
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Uh, no, you are not up to date. Reply with quote

The new Skype App came out in December and it allows ALL iPhones to do video chat as long as they are running IOS4. I have 6 friends that I've vdeo-chatted with over my 3GS as I stated in my original post. Also, it runs over Wifi AND cellular connection (AT&T), unlike face-time. Yes, it only has a forward-facing camera, but a small mirror solves that issue until I upgrade later this year to an iPhone4.

My issue is with Skype. Since the iPhone 3GS and the current version of the iPod both run the same OS and both have the forward facing camera, why didn't Skype open up the iPod camera as well? Just a rant I guess, but I think Apple wouldn't approve the App because it might compete with them? I don't know, but I'm going to find out!

Mac Mini C2D 4 Gigs, 500 Gig WD internal, Lacie 1TB external. iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, Newton 110. Two Mac Mini's - C2D 2 Gigs, 320 Gig WD internal.
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Updated..... Reply with quote

In fact, the new iPod also supports FaceTime, not just the iPhone. My contact just updated his Skype app on his iPod Touch - and it now supports video chat!!!! Way to go Skype!

taylorm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that Microsoft is going to purchase Skype. Will it make any difference to skype users particularly those like me who use free skype to skype calls?
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing, especially will it still be available for Linux, since I'm a big linux user. Knowing MS, it will probably gradually die out for linux. Mac may be okay!
taylorm

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
I was wondering the same thing, especially will it still be available for Linux, since I'm a big linux user. Knowing MS, it will probably gradually die out for linux. Mac may be okay!

Lets wait and see when the deal comes into existence.
taylorm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen problems with skype after that deal. Sometimes I am unable to login to skype.. it takes a log time and then application suddenly crashes.
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Skype- use both cameras on new iPod Touch? Reply with quote

I've scanned quite a few posts. I went to the App store and read about it. I even went to the Apple store (Allentown) today to determine if the Skype app would use both the the front and rear cameras on the new ipod touch. I have yet to get a definitive answer. Does anyone know? Does anyone actually run this app on the latest iPod touch? I'm not dropping any money on one until I can be sure. thanks!

Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: