123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best WORD/EXCEL for OSX 10.4 Tiger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intruder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Best WORD/EXCEL for OSX 10.4 Tiger? Reply with quote

Just got a new hard drive to replace my crashed one. My brother-in-law had installed a bootleg WORD/EXCEL on my computer when it was new. Now I want to go legit (on the clean new drive) and actually buy what will work best. Help!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the best version of MS Office was Office 2004. It booted faster than 2008, and Excel 2004 has more functionality than either of the newer versions. I still run Office 2004 on my PPC Cube with Leopard. If you're running Tiger, there's no down side to running Office 2004.
Intruder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fox! The little research I did was pointing me that way. You, Ben Franklin, and your Canadian homeland are reassuring.
Processor: 1.33 GHz, PowerPC G4
Memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: I wouldnt do that. Reply with quote

I would use open office it works with all word excel powerpoint and even access files and even better its free.

the reason i wouldnt recommend 2004 office is because of a huge problem.

Let me tell you the story.

a professor at the university of florida told his students as there finally computer science class to try to hack his g5 tower running leopard and office 2004 he told them they needed to download the word document to verify they did the job and he told automator to change the word document everytime someone accessed it so he knew who did it and who cheated the day came to turn in there paper work and all the reports came back the same

they read.

We where able to gain access through a security flaw in microsoft office 2004 which let us gain full control over your desktop and download the document a class of 50 students this is what every single paper came back with

when asked could you attack the os directly

There response no they couldn't

this is mainly why i dont use microsoft office at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: