123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Keyboard vs PC Keyboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankencat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Apple Keyboard vs PC Keyboard Reply with quote

I am a new Mac user and just bought a Mini. I am using it with my peripherals which are of course all PC based. Right off the bat I can see that I probably need to get an Apple keyboard. I have a MS Comfort Curve 2000 that I really like but the Cut/Paste/Copy commands don't work, no Num Lock and a few others little things. It works well enough to post this but I am wondering how much better the Apple keyboard is? I am thinking of the wired aluminum kb. Thanks all and Happy Holidays! -Frank <><
cheef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Apples keyboard line. Going back to standard PC keyboards feels all 'lego' and bulky to me.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Apple aluminum keyboards. Typing on anything else feels like going back in time.

4-6 months battery life (if you do go wireless).
Voyager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as you earlier this year frankencat, but soon discovered that you miss too much from the functions of an Apple keyboard and I picked up a new MB110Z from an eBay seller for a tenner and never looked back. It's fantastic.

I fired up the old PC recently and my trusty old Fujitsu server 'clicky' keyboard (had it on everything from when I acquired it in the mid '90's) feels like something from the ark. Shocked
kpmedia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my mini on a KVM with 4 other Windows XP/Vista systems. The HP keyboard is really nice, and the Dell mouse is more ergonomic than anything Apple has available.

The funny thing is the Windows key is the Apple command. Smile

If you type a lot, there's a bit of culture shock using the low profile keyboard popular with Mac users. I'd go crazy, to be honest, trying to use those, compared to my 104 boards.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a USB switch which is like a KVM, but I don't have the keyboard connected through it. The mini is connected indirectly to the Apple keyboard, and the peecee is connected directly to the SGI keyboard.

Anyway, I haven't posted on this as I'm still using my ADB Extended ][ keyboard, which I, and many others, think is the best keyboard Apple has ever made. When I set up my real desk, I'll get the Apple Adjustable Keyboard out, and hopefully life will be glorious! Anyway, I'm using an old Griffin iMate ADB to USB adapter to use this keyboard. I can't imagine using a keyboard that doesn't use switches.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: