123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hooking up an older (acrylic incased) Cinema Studio Display

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Hooking up an older (acrylic incased) Cinema Studio Display Reply with quote

I have an really nice 22" Apple Cinema Dispaly from several years ago, it has an ADC plug though and will only work with a mini by using an "ADC to DVI adapter". With this adapter you plug the ADC monitor into the adapter then it has a DVI and USB cord coming out of it. The DVI part of the adapter goes to the mini (of course)... what about the USB cord that comes out of the adapter though... what is that part for? Maybe that is used to connect a laptop (macbook) to your larger ADC monitor ??

Anyway I can get one of these adapter for cheap (they are usually pretty expensive) because it's had the DVI and USB cables cut off (?!!!?). So my question is this... If I use this altered adapter to just power up my monitor (I't should do atleast that), will a regular USB cable run to the back of my monitor from my MINI be sufficient for the signal? Will a USB also give me the same degree of picture quality? Thanks ya'll.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that won't work at all. No display signal goes down that USB cable. It was only present for the USB hub in that display (and to control brightness, if I remember correctly).

If the adapter you've been offered has had the DVI and USB cables cut off, then it's practically worthless, and certainly useless. If the seller claims anything otherwise, then GET A DEMO OF IT WORKING FIRST before parting with ANY money!!!!! Don't even take a punt because it's cheap - it won't work.

You can't connect a mini (or any other computer) to that display using a USB cable and get an image. Sorry.
Doug C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moobile, thank for the info. So, the only way that this monitor will work with a MINI is to use the DVI connection on the mini? That's inconvenient becaue I had planned to use the DVI to connect my TV (via HDMI adapter)... can I hook up the TV through the USB port (is there even an HDMI to USB adapter) and not only get a signal but have it be a quality picture? thanks again..
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Adapter Reply with quote

OWC sell a USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Adapter
however playing motion on the USB connected
display isn't supported very well.

If you attempt to play a DVD on the USB
display it will blackout.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly which model mini do you have, Doug? Some have two display outputs, so you may be in luck, with the right adapters.

But whichever mini you have, I believe the only way to use your nice perspex Apple Cinema Display is with a (complete version of the!) ADC to DVI adapter you mention.

As billb points out, the USB-HDMI adapters are only really an emergency solution - with a crummy picture quality - certainly not good enough for high resolution, not fast moving images, nor TV, nor DVDs...
Doug C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I thought this was going to be easier Confused ... the model of MINI that I've bought is A1176(2108) which is a 2.0GHz/2G-RAM/250-HD , it has 4 USB ports, 1 DVI port, 1 Firewire 400 port, 1 ethernet, 1 headphone port, and another that I assume is audio too.

My goal is/was to have my mini connected and sitting next to my HDTV, then have a long cable (of some kind) running to my second monitor at my desk (the older Apple Cinema Display) which is around 15-20 ft away. Is the firewire 400 cabable of a good video signal?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Doug, your mini only supports ONE display. Your mini, with its DVI-I port can drive either VGA or DVI, but not both. (Unless you go for the crummy USB bodge, which isn't really a display output at all. Firewire's no good for displays either.)

If you really wanted to drive two displays, you really needed the next model up ("late 2009""), with two display outputs (miniDV and miniDisplayPort).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!! Sad
edgardito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with two monitors because I use Mac os X on the primary, and Windows (via VMWARE Fusion) on the secondary.
They are both on my Desk.
If you need a long cable running at your desk, but your mini is not in there... are you using a BT Keyboard and Mouse?.

Are you using both (primary and secondary) at the same time?. If you are not, you might just use a VGA switcher (I guess there has to be a DVI version of it) and have only one primary display, hooked to 2 monitors, and switch between them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: