123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "DVI card" added to an HDTV...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: A "DVI card" added to an HDTV... Reply with quote

Hey folks, this may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway.

IS adding a DVI->HDMI adapter to a HDTV considered the same thing as having a DVI graphics card installed on a monitor? Or is there more to it than that?

I have a mid'07 MINI with just one port for only one monitor (DVI). But I'd like to have this MINI operate my monitor AND my HDTV. I've found an adapter that says it will accomodate a second monitor if the second monitor has a DVI card installed. SO, does that mean I can add a DVI adapter to my TV's HDMI cable ?

quote: "The DVI to ADC Conversion Box not only connects your Apple flat panel display to your DVI-equipped computer, it extends that display up to 1000 feet from your computer. It also enables you to add a second flat panel display to your workstation provided you have a second DVI card installed."
saul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that adapter is for something totally different. When they say DVI card installed, they mean a Mac tower that has card slots. The mini does not have slots for DVI cards. (there is a only a mini PCI slot but that is for the wireless)

What you can do (but it is slow) is to add a USB to DVI adapter.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5324
Doug C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Saul I guess that makes since. I may still buy this adapter because at this point it's about the cheapest way to run my older ADC monitor with my MINI. I was just thinking this would allow me to skip the whole AppleTv thing too.
Doug C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
What you can do (but it is slow) is to add a USB to DVI adapter.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5324

Hmm, I didn't think much of this idea, but after reading the reviews it's sounding alot better, most are positive. What do you mean it's slow? Some said they had pauses until updateing to the latest drivers.
saul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow meaning that normal computing is OK but video or fast games may seem choppy. This is because the adapter is fed via USB instead of having a more direct connection to the CPU.

Some on this forum are using these and can give better feedback as to their usability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: