123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you install Windows XP on the newest mac mini (12/2010)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roveer1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Can you install Windows XP on the newest mac mini (12/2010)? Reply with quote

I know, it's a somewhat maddening question for die hard Mac users, but our office run on Mac mini's (2008) versions. We use lots of older software and have been running windows xp as the only installed OS (no bootcamp), for a few years now.

I've been asked to upgrade one of the mac's to the newest version and without trying to take on software compatibility between XP and Win7, I just want to put an XP build on the newest MacMini.

Are there drivers for this? I think I read a post where someone was doing this.

Roveer
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read something about audio not working over HDMI, but the Boot Camp drivers should work fine on the standard Mac mini. All you really need is the latest Boot Camp drivers.
iLife's a Bitch!
atrevers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows XP at work for Visual Studio 2003, which won't run under Windows 7. I use Windows XP mode in Windows 7, and it does the job really well. I'd recommend that, as it means you can set the computer up with Win 7, the XP mode install is very straightforward, and you've got instant futureproofing for any new apps you may need in future that don't work with XP. It's also much better if you ever want to go beyond the stock 2gb RAM because you can install the 64 bit version of Win 7. The only consideration is obviously the extra cost of Win 7, and also the licensing - only certain versions come with XP mode (as you're having to pay for the 7 and XP license in one package).
kpmedia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need the full version of Windows. For at least a decade or more, I'd clutter my Mac installs with SoftWindows or Parallels, but this time, with my new mini, I've decided to give Wine a run.

And you know what? Wine runs most Windows software I need! Using Winebottler to be specific.

I'm trying to keep the Mac MS-free, because I have several Windows systems anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: