123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB 3.0 Speed for Backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: USB 3.0 Speed for Backup Reply with quote

I am sure that everyone wonders if their backup time is acceptable when they first use USB 3.0. I am at that stage too after doing my first TM backup of my mini, using USB 3.0 to a USB 3.0 external. I watched the speeds on the activity monitor and they fluctuated so much that it is not a good gauge.

But I did take a screen shot with the time started and time ended. So my very first Time Machine backup of 129 GB took 57 minutes, so I think that could be roughly rounded out to 2 GB a minute.

So is an average of 120 GB and hour acceptable for USB 3.0 ?

Your information is appreciated.
-2006 iMac c2d/1.83 Ghz/2 GB RAM
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer in short is file size is going to create variance and TM can be slow. I am assuming the drives are both spinners?

I get a little over 200 MB/s for copying media files and large graphics files from a TB RAID (4 spinners, RAID 0) to a single SSD USB3 enclosure. Copy same files from TB RAID to PCI SSD in my MacPro I get sustained 550 MB/s. And finally same files from TB RAID to TB RAID, ~235 MB/s.

2GB per minute is pretty good for my experience with TM backups and the rates I give don't reflect a TM backup
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks. Yes they are all "spinners" Never heard that term for platter drives/ Nice.

Finally tested it with Black Magic app, which showed the Read at 143.4 MB/s and the write at 143.1 MB/s. So I think falls into the norm for USB 3.0.
-2006 iMac c2d/1.83 Ghz/2 GB RAM
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: