123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone considering a baby MBA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: anyone considering a baby MBA? Reply with quote

I'm actually in the market for an ultra-portable right now. Leaning more towards the Thinkpad X201 as I can get a lot more battery life, 8GB of ram, etc. But the release of the new 11" MBA has at least given me an alternative to consider.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an 11" Air yesterday. I am astounded by it.

There is no way this beauty feels like a 1.4GHz processor. It's so responsive. Highly impressed.

The battery makes a huge difference. It's more or less an iPad, but with a full size keyboard and fully blown operating system.

In fact, I'm now considering selling my 32GB iPad to recoup the money paid on this 64GB Air.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheef wrote:
I picked up an 11" Air yesterday. I am astounded by it.

There is no way this beauty feels like a 1.4GHz processor. It's so responsive. Highly impressed.

The battery makes a huge difference. It's more or less an iPad, but with a full size keyboard and fully blown operating system.

In fact, I'm now considering selling my 32GB iPad to recoup the money paid on this 64GB Air.

Any idea how it handles say driving a TV with a 1080p movie and some light tasks at the same time?

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need a Mac, take a look at the Acer Timeline 1810TZ or 1830T. Specs are very similar to 11.6" MBA; battery life is actually better. I'm typing from one now. I use Ubuntu on it, now the Windows 7 it comes with.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up picking up an 11.6" MBA. The Apple store actually had one maxed out model left, so I picked it up (1.6Ghz C2D, 4GB ram, 128GB flash storage). (also picked up a copy of MS Office 2011...haven't used it yet though)

If I didn't have my work laptop (i7, 8GB ram, SSD, Ubuntu) for my mobile VM lab needs, I could never have purchased this. I'll find out later today what my real-world battery life is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I ended up picking up an 11.6" MBA. The Apple store actually had one maxed out model left, so I picked it up (1.6Ghz C2D, 4GB ram, 128GB flash storage). (also picked up a copy of MS Office 2011...haven't used it yet though)

If I didn't have my work laptop (i7, 8GB ram, SSD, Ubuntu) for my mobile VM lab needs, I could never have purchased this. I'll find out later today what my real-world battery life is.

You'll like office 11' iMav. Much quicker under the hood than the last mac office product.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, indeed like Office '11. I also splurged on Photoshop CS5 upgrade (I've actually purchased CS1 - CS5 now, so it was an inevitability). Both run quite snappy on the MBA.

I am loving the MBA more and more each day. I love having an Apple laptop with a smaller footprint then my old 12" iBook (and much more powerful to boot). Still have 99GB of available space. I don't keep pics or music on this system, so I don't anticipate having any issues in that regard.

The thinness is cool, but I'm not obsessed with that like Apple seems to be. I'd rather have it a bit thicker with some additional battery life (8 hrs would be nice).

Has anyone else picked one of these up lately?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mba all though impressive it needs more storage and with more storage comes even more cost 128gig's is not enough space it needs more a lot more and worse early adopters of the mba will get a sticker shock when they release a larger sd drive for the mba because of the type of card it is several manufactures left this type of tech a long time ago remember the asus eee pc that uses the same sd card a 64 gig upgrade just for that unit was 299.99 imagine a 250 gig or 500gig at three times the price.

Truthfully if you want a mac and want it cheap just buy a ibm laptop and turn it into a hackintosh its cheaper.
wavinwayne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would own one today if funds permitted it, but...
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
the mba all though impressive it needs more storage and with more storage comes even more cost 128gig's is not enough space it needs more a lot more and worse early adopters of the mba will get a sticker shock when they release a larger sd drive for the mba because of the type of card it is several manufactures left this type of tech a long time ago remember the asus eee pc that uses the same sd card a 64 gig upgrade just for that unit was 299.99 imagine a 250 gig or 500gig at three times the price.

Truthfully if you want a mac and want it cheap just buy a ibm laptop and turn it into a hackintosh its cheaper.

128GB is plenty for someone like me that does not keep significant amounts of data on it. I have all my apps that I use regularly and still have just under 100GB free.

IBM doesn't make laptops, BTW. Wink
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM = Lenovo = Thinkpad x120e

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
IBM ≠ Lenovo = Thinkpad x120e

Fixed it for you.
dblnutcustard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
IBM ≠ Lenovo = Thinkpad x120e

Fixed it for you.

How true lol

Lenovo = A big Chinese company that makes everything from laptops to electric shavers to rice cookers. They are huge in Asia. But they were unknown to the markets outside of China / Taiwan. Hence why that jumped at the chance to buy the Thinkpad business when IBM put it out for bid.

IBM on the other hand, was done dealing in the consumer end. They wanted to concentrate on big business and servers, were all the cake is, compared to retail were profit margins are much slimmer.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the baby air. The battery life just wasn't good enough to justify the limitations.

Anyways, I'll probably pick up a MBP again sometime soon. As much as I love the 13.3", I may go with at 15.4" this time. Quad-core i7 would be nice along with the high res screen.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Anyways, I'll probably pick up a MBP again sometime soon. As much as I love the 13.3", I may go with at 15.4" this time. Quad-core i7 would be nice along with the high res screen.

It's a beauty, well worth the purchase in my case.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: