123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Mouse VS. Magic Trackpad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Magic Mouse VS. Magic Trackpad Reply with quote

So what do you guys and gals think is a better buy? I am thinking about purchasing one. I am leaning more towards the trackpad, because it seems more interesting. I can always use a corded mouse, and MTP as an extra and bounce around to which one I prefer for each application.
redcard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to the Apple store to try the trackpad out. I can't really imagine referring it to the mouse, but so many people have said that it's a vast improvement. I think you really need to try out out for yourself before deciding
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that would be nice but no apple store near me.
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both MM and MTP. After purchasing the MTP, the MM now sits away quietly in a drawer.

But let me explain how I use it. My MTP does not replace my basic optical Microsoft mouse, I use it in conjunction with.

The MTP sits to the left of my mouse, and I use the MTP for browsing only, not for general usage.

Browsing is where the thing comes into its own. It's natural to use a two fingered scroll when reading long articles, so much better than that using a scroll wheel on a mouse and giving your finger RSI.

Also look up an app called BetterTouchTool, you can then fully customise the MTP (it will customise the MM too) and create gestures and shortcuts of your own. For example, I entered a three fingered tap to refresh Safari, and to refresh Tweetie. Works a treat.

For me, the MM is a decent mouse, but a bit too cumbersome for my liking. I've never really felt in full 'control' with it.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
hasty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new user to osx I decided now was the time to get the trackpad and learn the two in tandem. So far I judge it a great success.
Initially I was stumped as the trackpad had no drivers…….fortunately a 70mb software update soon took care of it.

The aim is to leave the usb mouse on my win7 box and use osx solely trackpad driven. It's definitely superior when browsing online (three finger swiping ftw) and now I have extended the range of gestures using the JiTouch pro I find it's becoming second nature dragging dropping files etc..
Best of all is the minimal desk space it takes up.
Overall I'm pleased with the purchase but maybe my iPad training has helped somewhat.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both, but sold the trackpad.
For my use, sofa surfing, -MM-HDTV, the magic mouse wins big time, with add-on gestures from bettertouch tool (and others) magic mouse is unlimited, smaller, and I'd much rather use a mouse to position the pointer than a finger.
they're both great devices, just limited by apples stingy software set.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was thinking about using the trackpad like cheef. I am getting used to the ipad even though I don't use it to surf the web all that much. I find myself about ready to tap the top of safari so it will instantly scroll back up. Wish that was in the desktop version. On the other hand the mouse may work for everything, but I had the mighty mouse. It was cool but the ball stinks and I like a corded mouse for fast accurate goto pointing. The mighty mouse set to maximum seemed like I had to move my arm a mile.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the mighty mouse was limited. I prefer the magic mouse over any trackpad.
I hope you find what works for you.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I agree the mighty mouse was limited. I prefer the magic mouse over any trackpad.
I hope you find what works for you.

Thanks is the MM faster tracking speed than the mighty?
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be differences between using a desk surface/small monitor vs a HDTV and my sofa/pillow. I had no track speed concern with either mouse or the trackpad on my sofa/HDTV setup, and I prefer it on the fast side, a 52" tv is a lot of real estate to cover. works great in my case.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah must be. Thanks for the info.
hasty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ray Finkle
Three finger flick up or down on the trackpad immediately jumps to top or bottom of a webpage. Love it on the iPad and great on the desktop now.
Three fingers left and right, back and forwards.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasty wrote:
@ Ray Finkle
Three finger flick up or down on the trackpad immediately jumps to top or bottom of a webpage. Love it on the iPad and great on the desktop now.
Three fingers left and right, back and forwards.

Well that sounds nifty. I am leaning more towards that. I remember the guy in the last keynote "back to the mac". Where he was using the mm and his hand was shakey, and had troubles with gestures when demonstrating something.
chris650

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about photoshop, design work... email, word processing

How do you compare mouse and trackpad?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris650 wrote:
what about photoshop, design work... email, word processing

How do you compare mouse and trackpad?

The trackpad is pretty slick and have strongly considered it, but I still wouldn't use for anything other than general computer stuff. For graphics (Photoshop, etc) a Wacom Intuos tablet is indispensable and couldn't currently imagine using anything other than it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: